Author Topic: compost from scratch  (Read 6545 times)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: compost from scratch
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2005, 19:39:10 »
Thanks wardy, hoped you'd see this one ...;D
I just took over the next door plot (eek :P) which is a weed field, so will use the coffee grounds as a layer of mulch under black plastic. Will let you know if bindweed enjoys espresso treatment ;D ;D ;D

Crash

• Half Acre
  • Viva Las Vegas
    • Crash n Donnas blog
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2005, 22:56:56 »
I was about to start a thread but this one will do... Can I compost brambles, nettles and bind weed?

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2005, 00:43:45 »
I am not an expert but here is my opinion.  Nettles are great, lots of nutrients in them. Bramble you would have to chop it up if it was very woody so it would break down easily.  I wouldn't put bramble on however if it had a root on it. I would only put bindwood on if you were very sure it wasn't rooted also, as it is a devil and will grow profusely anywhere. I have it growing up all the way round my lottie fence and it is terrible to shift.

Some might disagree and say that everything rots down if your compost is hot enough but I am not so sure about that especially this time of year.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Crash

• Half Acre
  • Viva Las Vegas
    • Crash n Donnas blog
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2005, 08:19:53 »
I've got a pile of roots drying out ready for burning. There was a skip put next to my lottie for me to use to clear the site but everyone else used it and now it's gone and I still have a lot of clearing to do. Picking up some pallets today to make my bins.

Crash

• Half Acre
  • Viva Las Vegas
    • Crash n Donnas blog
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2005, 14:02:36 »
I get accused of been obsessed with recycling. The kids get told off if orange peel goes in the wrong bin!

Mubgrub

• Half Acre
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2005, 14:52:08 »
I get accused of been obsessed with recycling. The kids get told off if orange peel goes in the wrong bin!

Tee hee, me too.  A lady from the council came round last week asking questions about what we recycle, I was super enthusiastic and asked her more questions than she asked me.  She ran away in the end, think I scared her off.... ;D ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal