Author Topic: Jeyes fluid  (Read 29581 times)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re: Jeyes fluid
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2005, 23:08:17 »
What tickled me was our Council allowed us, "the Lottie peeps" to paint half of our steel fence but when asked for the Council workers to do the taller 8ft fence, we were told they couldn't touch it because of COSHH.

So if the anti vandal paint is hazardous to the workers, what will it do to the Vandals? :D

Linda32

• Not So New ...
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2005, 14:21:25 »
Personally I've never heard of using Jeyes fluid on the ground  :-\

I only use it when washing out pots which I intend to grow flower type plants in.  :-\

PREMTAL

• Half Acre
  • CULTIVATE THE EARTH TO FEED THE SOUL
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2005, 02:55:35 »
Hi All,
         Jeyes fluid is a less concentrated form of tar oil, before the advent of all the new chemical formulas it was used at seasons end to kill off hibernating slugs.

The old worthies rough dug their plots and used it at the rate of one capfull to 2 gallons of water.

Both are now however now classed as carcinogenic by the E.E.C.

I find it strange that the old worthies who have always used it in this way are still here to talk about its use. ::)

PREMTAL

hemajo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2005, 09:05:38 »

I find it strange that the old worthies who have always used it in this way are still here to talk about its use. ::)

PREMTAL

BUT  we don't know about the one's who aren't here any longer  ;)
Helen

AndyC

• Not So New ...
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2005, 13:23:00 »
Don't know whether its true but Iheard Jeyes fluid is to be banned full stop at some point soon.  I hope any "friendly" replacement still has that smell ;D
Couch grassin', ever diggin', bed mulchin', back breakin', poo spreadin', slow livin', veg growin'....Andy!

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2005, 21:11:37 »
Hiya. jeyes fluid is still sold by garden direct for the purpose of sterilising soil, as well as a general disinfectant. a lot of people at the allotment swear by it for stopping club root in cabbages, diluted one capful per watering can. worked a treat on mine.

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2005, 21:58:15 »
I used to get cats using my garage as a urinal so I sprinkled Jeyes fluid (powder form ) around. Never saw a cat again. ;D ;D
Rosemary

PREMTAL

• Half Acre
  • CULTIVATE THE EARTH TO FEED THE SOUL
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2005, 01:46:32 »
Hi Hemajo,
                 Point taken, but there were never that many per head of population to start with who knew of its usage for that purpose. ;)

PREMTAL

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2005, 06:27:24 »
Rose.Mary

Is the powder form still called by the 'Jeyes' brand name?

We have a serious cat problem at the moment, one which uses part of my front lawn 'every day' as a toilet...its slowly killing the lawn.

We have tried the Jeyes fluid also hot pepper (powder form) but it doesn't appear to have a sense of smell...

We have tried one of those sensor high pitched noise things, the results of that little experiment would indicate that the offending cat is deaf too.

Any other ideas please?

'Desparate' Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2005, 10:04:34 »
It was regular practice to put a tablespoon of Jeyes in a watering can of water and pour down dibbled holes as brassicas were being planted.
This seemed to deter clubroot but was a good assurance against cabbage root fly.
It was a good thing to have on a lotty was Jeyes...
It was also  used to sterelize soil etc for greenhouse beds...
I have also seen it used in a weak solution for foiliar feeding chrysanths and. as a  spray for whitefly.  But alas in their wisdom it is yet another thing that  has been banned from use on gardens .We havent got a reliable fungicide anymore has all these have been banned .I wonder if it is all a master ploy to get us to buy the what is in my opinion irradiated rubbish that abounds today.
I wonder if commercial growers are as restricted as we are now in what we can and cant use..cheers .Jim
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 10:18:05 by growmore »
Cheers .. Jim

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2005, 10:33:35 »
I think Armillatox is now the replacement product for Jeyes.  You can still buy Jeyes though.  Thanks for the cabbage info by the way.  Will try that as I have some Armillatox in the shed

Deterring cats - we have the same prob and my OH noticed next door's cat crapping in his newly sown lawn the other day.  Read on here that tea bags soaked in Olbas oil deters them so I;m going to go and buy some and try it
I came, I saw, I composted

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2005, 22:59:00 »
Derek - Yes it did go by the Jeyes fluid logo, but I haven't seen any for a long time so it could be one of those thing that has been banned.
Talking about things being banned - I think the fact that we can not burn anything on the allotment now is not a good thing as certain deceases need to be burnt to control them. What do we do with our club root infected roots? We can't put them on the compost and taking them to the tip will only spread the d**n thing.

Rosemary

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2005, 09:32:19 »
Have a bonfire on bonfire night then you won't draw attention to yourself as everyone everywhere will be doing the same ;D     I'll be on my lotty doing just that  :)

kentishchloe

• Half Acre
  • Happy Tummies:)
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2005, 10:05:47 »
Is Armatillox still available? I thought that was another thing that had been banned i the last couple of years.
And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree;
'Kubla Khan' Samuel Taylor Coleridge

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2005, 10:09:57 »
I believe it is.  The company who sell it is near me in Derbys and they also make that Link a Bord.  It's a winter tar wash for cleaning up at the end of the season around roses and fruit trees etc.  The company name is Armillatox so it should be easy to find, and it's in Morton in Derbyshire

kentishchloe

• Half Acre
  • Happy Tummies:)
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2005, 10:37:20 »
I know it well, just thought it had been EU'ed last year -  used to be used to clean soil around honey fungus i believe.
And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree;
'Kubla Khan' Samuel Taylor Coleridge

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2005, 17:16:06 »
Armillatox is still available it is now called Armillatox soap based outdoor cleaner.It is no longer advertised as a garden product in Europe due to the new EEc regs.
It remains unchanged but is now advertised as a path tennis court cleaner etc to kill algae etc. ...cheers jim
Cheers .. Jim

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2005, 18:04:09 »
I read all the below with interest and understand the viewpoints. I'd like to make a partial explanation of why products are withdrawn from fields of use.
First - they may have been proven, following repeated and expensive tests, to be harmful for that particular application. Think about it - How many of you would encourage your kids to smoke now? Or would use nicotine as a glasshouse fumigant and stay in there whilst the fumes were being spread? But you wouldn't have worried say 80 years ago. New legislation, and education, has improved all our lives and sometimes we just have to move with the times and take things on board.
Second - the pharmaceutical companies, like all business, are wanting to make a profit. If the product does not have high sales, the cost involved (which does run into millions) in proving that the product is safe sometimes outweighs the return on investment they have to put in. So they don't apply for approval. This is sensible business on their part, but inconveniences us.
I for my part prefer not to use chemicals unless they are approved, because I accept that I do not know best in every case, and have a degree of respect for experts who have studied the field that I haven't. In fact, I prefer not to use shop bought chemicals at all, as it seems I can always find a natural way around most pest and disease problems.
I know this will seem stuffy to some, it's not intended to be, it is just another point of view, from a fellow gardener.

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2005, 22:48:24 »
Wardy - yes we are having a communal bonfire on the appropriate night but I have just got this new plot and I want to clear the rotten wood away as soon as possible. Also my point is not just the wood but weeds that are not good on the compost and plants that have failed because of some bug or bacteria, that is what I want to burn on a regular basis.
It took three of us three days to clear years of accumulated rubbish from our sit only to get new tenants (and some old ones) bringing more rubbish down here because it is easier than going to the tip. (Ain't I in a bad mood tonight) ::)

jennym - as for legislation and education improving life, that IS debatable. I prefer to get all the facts and then make up my own mind - yes education comes into this somewhere. :D

Rosemary

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal