Author Topic: beans re-flowering  (Read 2246 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
beans re-flowering
« on: October 06, 2005, 13:24:29 »
I forgot about half a row of dwarf yellow wax bean plants and when I checked them over today, they are in flower again, weeks after I finished picking from them!  Do you think I might be lucky and get another small picking from them, or is that wishful thinking?

On another bean note, as you may remember, a nasty vole ate all of my runner bean plants at ground level during early summer, so I have not been fortunate to pick my own, (altho thanks to the lovely Jack, I have had runnerbeans).  So, I bunged a few seeds that were left in the bottom of a packet up a wigwam on a spare patch about 6 to 8 weeks ago, and the plants romped away, and today, I harvested my for dozen long slender runner beans!  I know they won't be huge, but there are masses of flowers, so I am hopeful that we will get a couple of meals from them!  ;D  Happy days!

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
Re: beans re-flowering
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 16:38:58 »
If the weather stops as it has been lately EJ You will deff get a boiling off those dwarf beans.I chucked a couple of split tommies on muck heap a few weeks ago i noticed yesterday a ring of tommie plants about 4 ins high ..Its been a funny season frost in june and tommies germinating outside in late Sep=Oct ..cheers Jim..
Cheers .. Jim

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 20:11:12 »
I've noticed a flush of fresh flowers on me runners and a crop of new small beans which are delicious. 
I came, I saw, I composted

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 20:44:19 »
We've also got a fresh batch of lovely scarlet flowers on the runners - got quite a surprise when I spotted them. Hopefully beans soon.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 20:50:19 »
Great news about your beans Emma.  We cut down our courgettes because of mildew and thought that was it after a fantastic harvest, and what do you know, they aren't finished yet.  They started to flower again and when I popped over to our plot this afternoon there were some really nice dainty courgettes almost ready to pick again.  Isn't nature wonderful?  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 08:17:42 »
My climbing french beans went in late and have only been cropping really well for the last couple of weeks. I hope the frost keeps away and I can get a few more pickings from them too! Same with courgettes, almost nothing in the summer, and now 2 plants are smothered with fruit!

Hope you get some more runners EJ!
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

timmyc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 12:02:03 »
My beans have never stopped! somehow even though I planted two wigwams next to each other and at the same time one flowered earlier and is still producing just a few beans whilst the other one is now just starting to get going - the result has been beans at about the level I can keep eating them for a while now and no sign of stopping - that is I suspect until it frosts!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal