Author Topic: Who stole my onions??  (Read 8348 times)

suzylou

• Half Acre
Who stole my onions??
« on: September 10, 2005, 18:36:59 »
So I spent the afternoon digging another new bed on my newish lottie, ready for the onion sets I brought back from Cornwall last week.

Dug on through the rain and the thunder, finished.

Went to get the onion sets.  Now, I don't have a shed yet since I've only had the plot about 6 weeks, so I keep things in a plastic greenhouse.  I'm pretty sure that the onion sets were in there last week....they certainly aren't at home, or in the car.

But today, no onion sets.
Also no rake.

I'm particularly upset as ours is a very secure site, so it must be someone from the site who has taken them :(  Why do people do that kind of thing???

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Who stole my onions??
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 18:55:56 »
I thought that it was only footballers that spat - count me in!!

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 19:40:59 »
Well said Tim.  It really does makeyou want to stamp your feet doesn't it?
Get with the beat Baggy

TEL

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 20:23:53 »
Hi suzylou
Sorry to hear that you have a thief on site .
Keep a look out for the rake.

ChrisH

• Quarter Acre
    • http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/enable/index.htm
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2005, 20:27:23 »
sad to hear that, my allotment is the same, things go missing :( 

Have a look around see if anyone has planted new onions  :D  you never know they might just of planted them in their garden.

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2005, 22:48:30 »
it's really disheartening when things get nicked. I've been lucky so far but.... a lovely row of cabbages was happily growing under netting at one of the plots on our site, when the guy went to water them and renew slug pellets he discovered someone had cut out and stolen all the hearts and left all the outer leaves!! once he stopped swearing we couldn't stop laughing, .....wonder how long they'd been missing!! some people must be desperate.

suzylou

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2005, 11:05:34 »
What gets me is that whoever it was must have walked the full length of my plot and had a dig about in the greenhouse just on the offchance!  Not even a grab-and-run but more of a "I'm going to go and see if there's anything to nick here".

I realised in the middleof the night that I'm short a spade too.

Grrrrr.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2005, 16:27:57 »
That is appalling suzylou!  What a mean rotten low down thing to do, to steal someones produce and tools.  After all the time and effort it takes to grow things, for this to happen; your blood  must be boiling over with anger and frustrating.   >:( busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Trenchboy

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2005, 18:39:58 »
It's just outrageous that people steal like this. Keep your chin up.

On my site someone actually nicked piles of horse manure I had piled up in a compost heap. To show that they are really muppets they then went and scattered it over half their plot before starting to dig it in.

When I challenged them, their answer was that as I hadn't put anything over the pile, which was in a timber enclosure 2m x 1.5m, they thought it was there for anyone.

Un-fxxxing believable.

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2005, 18:55:01 »
Sorry to hear that Suzylou - do you have a committee that you could mention it to?  At least then an eye could be kept open in case, and the person dealt with (which would presumably mean at the very least being expelled from the allotment)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2005, 22:18:51 »
You wouldn't believe the amount of stuff I had stolen by the former Association secretary and his wife. It's not often so systematic, but there's always a bit of it, unfortunately. The best defence is a stout thorn hedge and a strong gate; if they can't see what's there, and they're likely to have a painful experience attempting to explore, they won't normally bother.

suzylou

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2005, 14:22:53 »
I have a confession :)

Remember how I couldn't quite believe that someone on the lottie site would actually nick a bag of onion sets?

I found them last night, in a bag I hadn't unpacked since my visit home.

Whoops!  ::)

I'm a bit embarassed, but also very excited that I'm going to have so many onions, and pleased that I don't have to worry so much about theft on the site!

(oh, and the spade and rake had been borrowed by the neighbours!)

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2005, 14:25:46 »
Well done for confessing, you could quite easily have kept quiet.

suzylou

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2005, 14:27:50 »
Well I figured that having destroyed everyone's faith in human nature, I ought to restore it  ;D

Plus, if I didn't tell you, hubby was threatening to get an A4A account and "out" me :>

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2005, 14:30:07 »
That is reassuring to hear, to feel that there is a thief amongst you is so terrible. I am glad it has come good in the end.

Derekthefox :D

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2005, 14:44:09 »
Suzylou, I am really glad it has all worked out right for you and that you can carry on lottying without the stress of worrying about what might go missing.  Enjoy your onions.

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2005, 14:53:34 »
I do that kind of thing all the time. I've given up thinking things are stolen any more as it's nearly always me putting them somewhere stupid. I found my housekeys under the mattress the other day. What worries me is that I thought to look there.  :)
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

suzylou

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2005, 14:59:55 »
To be honest, I thought I MUST have just put them somewhere...but I looked EVERYWHERE or so I thought :>

How on earth did you get your keys under the mattress?  I'm bad, but that's rediculous!

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2005, 15:27:30 »
We were given some Zinc fencing pannels yesterday. They were not there this morning. But we know who nicked them as they are now in the plot next to us up the side of the guys shed. He thought we wouldn't see them.  GRRRR !!!

We are thinking of doing a midnight raid and getting them back ;D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2005, 15:32:44 »
Either that Jill (joji), or take photos and challenge the culprit in front of your allotment committee. I presume you could vouch for the origin of the panels ...

I have no time for people like this, they get the full venom of my aggressive side when this happens.

Derekthefox :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal