Author Topic: Spywhere  (Read 2700 times)

TEL

• Hectare
Spywhere
« on: September 11, 2005, 08:41:06 »
Hi all
Can anyone recommend any i have tried a lot of free checks.
Ive had 18 infected files to 2 with different trials even tried one twice & the first time i had 15 infected files next time it was 8.
Am now very confused. ???

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Spywhere
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 08:58:26 »
I use Spybot and Ad-aware and with AVG anti virus plus one called Spyblaster, rgwy seem to keep my machine as clean as is possible. The first two complement each other, AVG keeps out the virus etc and Spyblaster is supposed to stop redirection of telephone.
Gardening is the great leveller.

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 09:28:04 »
Hi Tel...I have all the above as mentioned by Eric plus a couple of registry cleaners ..but...there must be a downside to any application that is free...nothings for nothing as the saying goes.Keep your spyware updated, automatically preferably, you should have no worries.
I run ccleaner occasionally to get rid of the anti-spyware logs of AdAware and Spybot and so on.Perhaps that is why they are free, these logs get used or sold on.Recently I downloaded Google Desktop, decided it was not for me, so deleted it, Google said' OK done'..but I ran Search Files and Folders in the Start Menu and guess what, 13 files still there plus a load more in the registry.

dotCompost

• Half Acre
Re: Spyware
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 10:47:40 »
Ive had 18 infected files to 2 with different trials even tried one twice & the first time i had 15 infected files
Hello TEL, please tell us which programs you've used. Are you really talking about Spyware, or perhaps a virus or trojan. Your post is unclear, coz you are using the word "infected" and talking about Spyware. The excellent programs (Ad-aware and Spybot) recommended by others, will remove any nasties for you. Have you run both of them and still have "infected files".  :)

TEL

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 11:30:46 »
Hi
i have mcafee virus & firewall & have just downloaded a 30 day trial of there spywhere.
Now the check with that says there is no problem.
it makes me wonder if these free scans try to frighten you in to buying them by saying you have a problem.
Thanks all for the help & will keep you updated to how it works. :)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 11:35:15 by TEL »

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 13:22:33 »
I have the same as Tel but also use the trial version of microsofts anti-spyware which has given me no problems.  It ca be found at:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

Note that this is teh beta version but believe it is up for renewal in 3 to 4 months.

Iain
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

ChrisH

• Quarter Acre
    • http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/enable/index.htm
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2005, 17:08:56 »
try this free one ...

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/activescan/

I used it just to check my PC now and then (even though I have a one installed)

dotCompost

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2005, 18:19:12 »
The thread is headed Spywhere (sp) yet many posts seem to refer to virus checkers.

TEL, what is it you require. Help with spyware, or getting rid of a virus ???

TEL

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2005, 19:53:19 »
Hi dotcompost

Spywhere to sort out the hidden programs that can transmit personal details without ones knowledge.
Sorry maybe antispywhere may have been better.

dotCompost

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2005, 22:02:39 »
Hello TEL, have you run both Adaware and Spybot. And do you still have the spyware problem.  :)

TEL

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2005, 07:13:23 »
Hi dotcompost
All my problems seem to have disappeared now.Ta all ;D

dotCompost

• Half Acre
Re: Spyware
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2005, 10:31:31 »
That's good news - thanks for letting us know you're ok.

I update AdAware and Spybot each week and run the two programs just to keep the house clean. I also run CCleaner when I switch off the PC at night.

TEL, I suggest you do the same  ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal