Author Topic: Comfort food  (Read 10162 times)

Gadfium

• Acre
Re: Comfort food
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2005, 11:23:04 »
Leek and potato soup, home-made, with a half-pint mug of scalding tea.

Doorstop of white bread, butter, liver pate, and a slathering of coleslaw (that has never heard of mayonnaise) over the top.

Alternatively (and disgustingly): half a tin of baked beans emptied into a bowl, make a depression in the centre, crack in an egg... and microwave. Yum.

:D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2005, 13:13:02 »
Oooh yes Baggy, I adore all those slow cooked stews, where the meat can be carved with a spoon, and the sauce is just .... well unctious I suppose. Culinary heaven !

And another dumpling lover Tim! I find it sad that dumplings are not treated the same here as they are for instance in the Germanic countries, where there are so many different types, one I delighted in - liver dumplings in a mustard sauce, gosh I have tears in my eyes just remembering them!

Definitely salivating now,

Derekthefox

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2005, 14:14:45 »
Depending on mood.

If I'm feeling lazy, pasta and pesto. If not, my homemade spicy veg and tofu sausage casserolle. Or some kind of veg pie. Or veg lasagne. Most likely it'd be something spicy!

Sometimes when I feel the need for comfort food, I find just cooking it is enough. We have lots of pies in the freezer by the end of winter!
gone to pot :D

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2005, 16:50:08 »
Certainly all the hot 'n' sloppy food: casseroles & stews, shepherds pie, spaggy bol, rice pudding, custard. The other thing I eat for comfort is marmite on a chunk of crusty white bread - perks me up no end.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2005, 17:06:02 »
All those but don't forget the crumble and custard - rhubarb, blueberry, apple and blackberry.  Yum!  I'm off.  This thread is so fattening!
Obxx - Vendée France

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2005, 21:12:09 »
Fish Pie with lots of lovely mash on top, crisped up under the grill  ;D

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2005, 22:20:58 »
Another real comfort 'food' for me is something I used to have often for my supper as a  child (in the 50's - a long time ago now) when I stayed with my grandparents who lived right out in the country, sitting around an old oil lamp & by an old range fire that glowed....was a bowl of Oxo & bread....oxo cube crumbled over thick slice of bread in a small pudding basin & boiling water poured on top...the bread swells & the taste is gorgeous!!....after not having had it for decades, I've suddenly started to have it again before bed but now I put in my favourite big mug!!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2005, 23:08:49 »
OMG Hot Potato!  You have just rushed me headlong back in time to Sunday nights when I was about 5!  That was my fave, oxo and bread, or marmite mixed with boiling water with bread!  Mum loves, and still loves, buttered bread, cut into cubes and ploped into hot milk with pepper grated over the top.  Not for me that one.
Had another top comfort food over the weekend, another Devon delicacy, hogs pudding!  ;D

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2005, 15:17:43 »
Hmmm anything with a large amount of carbohydrate -

Real emergency rapid comfort food: bowl of Smash made with milk and butter.

Pasta with cheese sauce (pref macaroni cheese)

Cauliflower/broccoli cheese

_OR_

combination of the last two!

Egg fried rice

5 min microwave treacle pudding and custard (yes it really does take 5 mins)

Any wonder I'm a bit overweight...

moonbells

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2005, 15:45:26 »
I think my fave food is cauliflower cheese over a jacket spud.

EJ   We used to have "bread pobs" when we were little an poor  :)  cubes of white bread with hot milk over it in a bowl with nutmeg on.  This was for brekky before school

Sounds like bread and butter pud without the raisins and egg!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2005, 16:03:34 »
 We used to have "bread pobs" when we were little

We used to call it pobbis!?!

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2005, 12:28:44 »
I have a 'thing' about gravy - I cannot stand gravy mixes and water Yeugh!

For me the gravy has to be the real thing...

Meat juices from a roast mixed with water from the steamed veg

If it needs thickening only then will I use gravy granules

(Goldenfry are tastiest IMHO  ;D )

bananagirl

• Half Acre
    • Bananagirl's Blog
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2005, 12:44:56 »
Milk gravy w/ onions and garlic and chicken stock, nice and thick with chunky chips for dipping...OMG making me hungry.

Nothing rhymes with orange...
http://downamongtheflowers.blogspot.com/

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2005, 12:50:08 »
Debs is right, gravy has to be meat juices ... vegetable water, stock or cube

I think I am just plain lucky, I do not have a problem making decent gravy, just the rest of the dinner ! ! !

Derekthefox :D

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2005, 13:19:45 »
Well I've just been comforted. Got soaking wet this morning so for lunch had toast 7 marmite with fried tomatoes on the top - a favourite summer comforter.

As for gravy, ever since I learnt to tuck onion under whatever I'm roasting the results have been spot on, no additional flavourings needed.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2005, 14:15:43 »
As a veggie my attempts at gravy have always been veg stock cube in the water used to cook the veggies, bit of corn flower (I think I'll leave that typo!) and reduced down.

At Christmas last year, however, I made onion gravy from scratch and it was just lovely! (I think that was probably the last time I did a roast. I'm dying for one now. Must harvest my maincrop spuds soon!)

mmmm - roastie potatoes with garlic, rosemary and lemon juice. Now that's comfort food.
gone to pot :D

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2005, 18:56:36 »
How wonderfully British we are - not one of us has suggested Ice cream of any variety!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Mixed red berry and apple cobbler, with sugared scone topping, and lashings of home made custard for me  ;D
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2005, 19:27:14 »
How wonderfully British we are - not one of us has suggested Ice cream of any variety!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too cold for comfort!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2005, 12:35:30 »
ooo oooo, I don't know........anyone ever been to Bideford, Banstaple or Appledore??  Mr Hockings clotted cream ice cream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Died and gone to heaven!  I tell my kids it's the law to have one every day we are down with the family, and kids being kids tell each other, 'mum says it's the Lord!'

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2005, 12:56:58 »
Spent my early years in  Exmore area. 

Dulverton was the family home.  It had an amazing 'Milk Bar' that used to serve clotted cream ice cream that had tiny ice chips ...

AND THEN they add clotted cream on top ... that would go cold and chewy ...  Heaven  ;)

you have heard of the expession 'Devonshire Dumpling' haven't you  ?  ;D
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal