Author Topic: Animal sanctuary  (Read 3771 times)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
Animal sanctuary
« on: September 09, 2005, 17:40:57 »
Some critters we met in a South West Scotland animal sanctuary. The little sheep was very friendly. She hobbled about on crooked front legs.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 21:51:06 by Heldi »

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
Re: Animal sanctuary
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 18:43:55 »
Heldi they're lovely, where's the Sanctuary?

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 18:56:27 »
Aaaaaaghhhh  :)  I just love animals.  Specially soppy about waifs and strays.  My lotty mate looks after poorly sheep til they are fit to hand back to farmer or til they pop their clogs as they are too poorly to recover.  They have a lovely life with her either way  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 19:13:36 »
I'll have to get back to you on the name Twospot as I have completely forgotten. It was a great little place to visit.

Aw Wardy the sheep in the picture was adorable. Wouldn't leave us alone even though we had our stinky dog with us. 

They have a little shop which sells bric a brac to raise funds.  We were in there rummaging when a goat walked in the door. My grotty mutt tried to nip its nose. Anyway we were in there for about another 10 more minutes before we went outside. The goat was standing to one side of the door and butted our dog! It was hilarious,the way it had waited for Cass. Cass got her just deserts! (She wasn't hurt I hasten to add).

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 19:42:13 »
love the second picture , very sweet they are all lovely , love visting places with all the farm animals even better when they are friendly  :) :) :)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 22:36:02 »
The sanctuary is in a little place called Hightae in Dumfries. It is a canny wee place to visit. No admission fee and you can take your dog.

They have a small garden of remembrance. Which is dedicated to all the animals "needlessly" slaughtered during the foot and mouth epidemic.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 22:37:42 by Heldi »

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 22:39:40 »
Heldi i just love that horse, all the animals are lovely. ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 22:47:27 »
What breed of pig is that?

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 23:17:59 »
An angry one! He bullied all the other pigs that were wandering about. Right attitude he had. 

I couldn't find anyone to ask about the animals. They were having a sort of car boot sale at the sanctuary that day and I think things were a bit busy for them.

Bambi.1

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 23:29:36 »

What a wonderful place for the animals,they are all gorgeous,but l have fallen in love with that handsome horse.

l love that palatial home for the guinea pigs too LOL!

Great photo's  ;D thanks for sharing them.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2005, 23:40:33 »
Hi Bambi ! There was actually a guinee pig village!  I think that particular house was next to the little post office. There was a church and a bakers and a couple more which I've forgotten. I only took that one pic as most guinee pigs and rabbits were inside their various abodes. It was cold and drizzling so I don't blame them.

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2005, 23:46:35 »
Thanks Heldi, will look out for it next time I'm on holiday down there, I usually go once a year but not been this year yet.

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2005, 16:07:36 »
Awwwwww they are absolutely adorable !  Thank you so much for sharing the photos with us ! I adore animals  ;D ;D :D ;) :D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Lord Steve

• Half Acre
    • Turn 'Em Green
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2005, 16:51:26 »
Great pics, as always, Heldi! I think the one of the horse is especially good, but the others are not far behind. Thanks for sharing.

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2005, 21:10:15 »
I agree, lovely pics, and my favourite is the horse, such beautiful animals, after cats that is  ;)

MM

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2005, 21:20:29 »
Twospot it will be perfect for LTS. She'll love it!  When you get there it doesn't really look up to much,it isn't very big but atleast it's not yet another one of those farms with "activities" and restaurants. I'm sick of those to be honest.Don't like getting fleeced. My kids want to see the animals more than anything else and have some of them wandering about had them tickled pink.

These two iguanas are in the house but you can go in and see them. The vivarium is open with a little ladder for them to get in and out. I guess they have the freedom of the house. OH took this pic.

Lord Steve, Marianne and Merlin's Mum. Thanks for your compliments,it's all down to the animals really. The horse I agree is breathtakingly handsome. Enjoys a pat too!

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2005, 21:27:01 »
oh that's a nice pic too Heldi, are they a pair?

Lord Steve

• Half Acre
    • Turn 'Em Green
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2005, 01:59:28 »
Hi Heldi - I hope you don't mind me adding pics on your thread, but this seemed the right moment to post the only pictures I have of cute animals!!

Red Panda

Meerkats

Taken earlier in the year at 'Paradise Wildlife Park'.

Glyn

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2005, 03:17:46 »
Excellent! ;D

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2005, 14:35:06 »
MM I will hazard a guess and say that they are a pair. One much bigger than the other. Ofcourse that could be that they are different ages. Don't know much about iguanas but I'm thinking two males or two females probs wouldn't get along. I don't know...help iguana experts!

Ofcourse I don't mind Lord Steve.  I love your Red Panda.  Meerkats are big favs in this house too.  I've seen them with chicken feet hanging out of their mouths, which brings nature right into perspective when you are just thinking how cute and funny they are!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal