Author Topic: Favourite books :o)  (Read 6164 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re: Favourite books :o)
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2005, 10:57:51 »
um...

Probably "Blue Beard" by Kurt Vonnegut. Pretty much all of Vonnegut's book end up in my favourite's list. Also love by him "The Sirens of Titan", "Timequake", "Good Bless you Mr Rosewater"...

Also love the books of Philip K Dick.

Mostly at the moment I'm reading non-fiction, particularly about anthropology.
gone to pot :D

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2005, 16:50:30 »
Just one!

:o

An old favourite then. It has resided on the small 'specials' shelf for many, many years - nestling amid an eclectic bunch of fellows.... as I recall, it starts something like this:

...The vibrating clangour from the four great piston engines set teeth on edge and made an intolerable assault upon cringing eardrums. The decibel-level, Smith calculated, must have been about that found in a boiler factory, whilst the shaking cold in that cramped, instrument-crowded flight-deck was positively Siberian in nature. On balance, he reflected, he would have gone for the Siberian boiler factory any time, since, whatever its drawbacks, it wasn't liable to fall out of the sky or crash into a mountainside, which in his present circumstances seemed a likely enough, if not imminent contingency, for all that the pilot of their Lancaster bomber appeared to care to the contrary...

Smith, Schaffer, a triple-cross, the Bavarian Alps, Schloss Adler, cable-cars, a wickedly dry turn of phrase... and Alistair MacLean creates an adventure story that for me has never lost its lustre.

'Where Eagles Dare'
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 18:44:48 by Gadfium »

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2005, 19:23:10 »
Thanks everyone - that's my reading list sorted out for the next twelve months  8) ;D
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2005, 01:18:40 »
Janine McMullen "The Wind In the Ash Tree" about her smallholding in Wales.
Jack Kerouac: anything by him...how can anyone try to write the sound of the sea???????
Wuthering Heights..I read it every Christmas.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2005, 19:00:08 »
Janine McMullen "The Wind In the Ash Tree" about her smallholding in Wales.
Jack Kerouac: anything by him...how can anyone try to write the sound of the sea???????
Wuthering Heights..I read it every Christmas.

Have to agree with you on Kerouac - especially On the Road and Dr Sax.

Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2005, 19:11:44 »
Gadfium          Where Eagles Dare    - Fantastic  :)

Speaking of Wilt.  I went to visit my old man in hospital where he'd got to have eye surgery.  When I got there he was unconscious as he'd had his op.  I had about two hours to wait for a bus so I got this Wilt book out me bag.  I sat there reading it and I was trying to stifle my snorts and guffaws (as the ward was full of sick folk)  Anyway I was trying to control my splutters, and tears of laughter streaming down my face, when the ward sister came down to console me as she thought I was crying for my poor dear husband laid in bed out cold   ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal