Author Topic: Big Grrrrrrr  (Read 17324 times)

undercarriage plan

Big Grrrrrrr
« on: September 09, 2005, 13:53:25 »
So much for my surprise on Firday, got letter in post. Someone in village, has written to council about my little veg patch. Least I know where rabbit came from...!
"The council has also been made aware that a strip of land appears to being cultivated, and a greenhouse, shed and other items have been placed on this land ...........it will be necessary for me to visit and inspect the site and then I can advise you of any further actions that may need to be taken."
It's bloody farmland!!!!! Have worked for 4 years clearing bomb site of brambles, barbed wire and crap. If I can't have veg plot to grow veg for family then I'm emigrating! Sorry, but cross.  If try and stop, then will sit in tent on land, with Bob and not budge.... Lottie :'(

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: Big Grrrrrrr
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 14:01:29 »
Hmmm, you have my sympathies however it falls, it is all hassle. Nothing more I can add ...

Derekthefox  :D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 14:35:56 »
PT  not up yet, I wish.....Hope I'm getting knickers in twist for nothing. Hoping when they arrive, they'll roll eyes and let me get on with it! I'm creating wildflower meadow, hoping to put pond in, leaving nettles for butterflies etc. It just makes me sad. This is the little village I grew up in, used to  have council houses etc so had good mix of peeps. Now just has rich peeps and weekenders. All concil houses sold off, shop gone, and little school importing kids from all over to try and keep going. Not explaining this very well, am I!! I'm quiet, inoffensive, bit dippy I know,can't be seen by road, land was just barren, doing no harm to anyone. It's agricultural land, seems strange if can't cultivate that! Lottie

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 14:45:12 »
It could well hinge around that agricultural land issue. They are probably concerned whether there are any structures erected, permanent structures would definitely require planning permission, I am not sure about shed, greenhouse and polytunnels, although in agricultural terms these are still structures . . .

Like I said, you have my sympathies . . .

Just smile at them ...

Derekthefox  :D

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 15:59:31 »
>:(
How dare they??????
Not sure about legal things, but if its a planning permission thing, I thought if you had sheds P/T etc they do not count as "permanent structures" so its ok? I am sure someone will know.
If anyone is an Archers listener they will know what I mean when I say it sounds like Linda Snell!!
Fingers crossed for you....will probably be a storm in a fine bone china egg cup!!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 17:54:05 »
Seems that as yet PTs don't require permission but they thinking of changing that. Pretty sure the very elite who reside in this part, don't want any oiks around. But it's my families land, and will need bigger JCB than mine to remove me!! Perhaps fur-lined weliies and pink raincoat would help, pinky raised whilst digging? Lottie  ;D

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 17:59:32 »
 ;D ;D
Oh yes...pinkie raised and make sure you have the obligatory waxed jacket......have you thought of hosting an "al fresco evening" at the plot and inviting all?????!!!!!
You could see the whites of their eyes then....... 8)

undercarriage plan

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 18:05:56 »
LOL!! May have lowered the tone by camping there, forgot butler  ::)! Thinking about sewage farm, or caravan site or...... ;) Lottie

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 18:28:53 »
Seems that as yet PTs don't require permission but they thinking of changing that.

Be very sure about that Lottie for a farmer I knew fell foul of that with Polytunnels.  The rules has to do with whether they are seen as permanent or not and I think that has to do with the foundation depth.  Top of my head says that if the foundations are more than one meter deep then it is not permanent so no planning needed but that would need checking.

Also although agricultural it may only be cleared for grazing rather than cropping.  I think the best bet is just to be up front and honst and resist the temptation to say it is just a bit of garden cos that also stops it being agricultural!   

I truly hope you win out for that really is taking planing to the extreme and is daft as a brush.  Good luck and keep smiling, even if only for Bob's sake....

Iain
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 18:50:04 »
I think the problem is, that it's a bit of an enigma. Don't know how many cases like mine there has been. Growing veg on bomb site of brambles, which is owned by farmer, my Dad. So, not garden, not allotment, not agricultural, just me growing veg, and bee teasing...I know, I'll blind them with science, or a marrow back-hander..... But thanks all for input, knowing our council, I'll be pushing up daisies myself before they come round. for visit...;D Lottie

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2005, 19:04:41 »
Bloody pees me off when busy bodies cannot keep their beaks out of something that is doing no harm whatsoever.  Some people's mission in life just seems to be to spoil other people's lives.  Good luck to you Lottie and if you find out who it is a horse's head on their pillow is far more effective than a dead rabbit.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Shirley

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2005, 19:24:36 »
Just let it be known in the area that you are clearing a site for your microlight landings and if any of the posh people around would like to use it as a helicopter landing site they would be more than welcome.  Then sit in your poly tunnel and watch their blood pressure rise ;D

ChrisH

• Quarter Acre
    • http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/enable/index.htm
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2005, 19:31:45 »
It might be wise to go to a citizen advise centre and see what they say. So you are more clued up for when they visit :)

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2005, 20:48:19 »
This is because you are using agricultural land for what might be considered horticultural use.... e.g. they think it is a market garden for which you would need permission.
You could apply for this retrospectively.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2005, 20:48:35 »
Thank you!! Will let you know how it goes. I just have big bee in bonnet about peeps moving into countryside and moaning about the life they've moved into. I'm a live and let live kinda gal, unless it involves small, furry creatures or pineapples, hate pineapples. Think Redclanger hit nail on head, too many bored rich peeps about. Good point Chris, will try them when know what I'm dealing with. Shirley, OH is going to dive bomb model planes on regular basis......Lottie  ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2005, 20:52:17 »
Sorry, must have posted at same time WSL!! Not a market garden, I wish!! My idea of heaven! PT for toms, melons (I hope!) I may squeeze in the odd bedding plant for hanging baskets..... ;) My dream would be for nursery eventually, think I can knock that on head. But imagined one with just native plants, and pond and wild meadow and orchard..... ;D Lottie

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2005, 21:26:49 »
So to squeeze a lateral question, hopefully not getting passed sideways, do you have a revised plan for the completion of your PT ?

Derekthefox :D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2005, 22:36:35 »
Lottie I couldn't agree with you more!! Although I am a Londoner born and bred I (along with my late husband) have always loved the countryside. In 1967 we bought a detached bungalow in Mayfield East Sussex along with 4/5 acres of land.. We had gigantic chicken houses behind our property. We had been there about six months when the lady next door approached me and said "You are good at wording letters, don't you think we should complain about the smell of the chicken sheds? (there was a smell when they were clearing out ready for the next batch. ) She was most upset when I refused and said when you move to the country you take all these things in to your life, or else stay in a town!!  Good luck Lottie, fingers crossed. Lorna.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2005, 22:59:34 »
How long has it been there? Unless they've changed the rules, you're OK if the structure has been there more than four years. I'll never forget when we were in Cornwall, we were looking at getting a grant to do up the cottages. The guy from the Council came and made a fuss about the sheds outside, claiming that they weren't on the plan. I pointed out that they were clearly shown on the large-scale maps we had, and that being built of granite, they were probably as old as the house. We never heard any more about that one!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2005, 23:10:59 »
Thankds Lorna. Robert, real quagmire (If that word? Not sure..!), shed is tiny and only been there about a year, PT in construction, not huge, 10ft by 20 ft, then just veg, lawn and meadow. There are old buildings there, or were, long gone. Quite intrigued to find out where I stand with growing veg for family on here!! I don't stick my neck out for many things, but this means an awful lot to me. It's where I was lucky enough to live and grow up. We live in town now cos can't afford place in village, but it gives my kids a taste of running and playing in large space, gives me the chance to grow unpolluted food!!And to breathe, truth be told!! Lottie :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal