Author Topic: Farewell from Derekthefox  (Read 15458 times)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Farewell from Derekthefox
« on: September 08, 2005, 08:58:33 »
Many good members have stopped posting or left this forum for various reasons. I now consider myself to be one of those, a difference being that I consider it courteous to bid my farewells.

For me, the most outstanding element of this forum was the genuine warmth and friendship shared across all the boards etc. For me, this is no longer the case, in fact it has reached the point where I actually feel unwelcome, and as a result, will not be posting any more. In fact, far from just lurking, I will visiting very rarely, perhaps no longer.

In line with this, I am also clearing out my messenger, and address book, to get rid of unwanted clutter associated with this site. Therefore, if anyone DOES want to keep in touch with me, please contact me through my email (available on my profile), or through messenger. I may not see private messages.

May you all have bountiful harvests

Derekthefox

Tulipa

• Hectare
Re: Farewell from Derekthefox
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 09:11:35 »
Derek, I am really sorry to see you going, I have loved seeing your contributions to the board, the banter with Lottie etc brightens my day. 

I have seen one person who has in my opinion been quite ascerbic in their comments about chit chat on the boards but I love it and don't let that frighten you away, but maybe I have missed something here and don't want to pry.  Please stay and brighten our days, you are a very active member of the forum and it will not be such a happy place if you go.

If we can't persuade you to stay I wish you good luck in all you do and am glad that I met you.

I am writing this in a hurry so hope it makes sense!

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 09:18:59 »
Derek ! Don't let them beat you !! 

I myself have bitterly suffered verbal abuse through PMs mainly as the perpertrators did not have the guts to make their comments public. 

And I too vowed I would never return to A4A but the bonus and friendship I get out of it far outweighs the nasty comments made by some of the few.

You have to think of the others who need your valuable help and your positive comments.  I for one will miss you very much so I would beg you to stay.    If your mind is made up however, I wish you all the very best in your life and on the allotment !

;) ;D :D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 09:23:28 »
  :'( Please don't leave Derek, you've been a member here for a long time and have every right to stay. What's happened to this forum? A year ago when I joined everyone was so friendly, it was a lovely community with not one ounce of nastiness. I suggest if anyone is receiving unwanted pm's they should report that member to Dan immediately.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 09:45:41 »
Aww Derek, please stay. I know I haven't posted much this year, but I still pop in regularly ( even if I don't post).
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 10:24:01 »
Derek - it's very sad you feel that way. Don't go. We'll miss you.

Tell Dan who the bully's are and make them leave. DOn't let them win.
gone to pot :D

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 10:37:06 »
Please do tell me if you receive offensive PM's - I can remove the PM privilege from people if need be.

Dan

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 10:40:09 »
Thank you Dan, but this is purely a personal issue, the site is great, keep up the good work.

Aqui, as above, there are no bullies . . .

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 11:11:48 »
Marianne          I'm really surprised you were PM's with abuse.  That's awful.  I know you were upset but I thought you meant from posts on here.  I hope whoever did it is no longer here  :(

I came, I saw, I composted

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 11:23:17 »
Hi Wardy,

Yes I received both abusive PMs and cynical comments. 

I did not want to tell Dan as I thought he could not do anything about it.  It is too late now and I try and avoid commenting on any threads from that particular person. 

So far, she has left me in peace.   Let's hope it lasts as I love this site and enjoy contributing and reading.  ;) :)
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 11:57:04 »
Good  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Maddy

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2005, 12:17:43 »
Derek,

I've hardly had time to get to know you but I was hoping to.  It's a shame that you'll be leaving, we Junior members need the benefit of your expertise.

Will miss you and your avatar  :)

M.

Glyn

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2005, 12:19:17 »
Derek ! Don't let them beat you !!
Too bad that one bad apple amongst a barrel of good one's, can do so much damage.
Come on Derek, stay for the "Good one's mate" we would miss ya.

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2005, 12:44:28 »
DEREK  you aint going anywhere you are staying here where you belong ,

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2005, 13:02:12 »
Derekl. Like a lot more members I am sad to read your post. In my old age I still believe people can have opinions and may not agree with all that is posted BUT  that someone can post (either by PM's or other means) remarks that can make another member feel they have to leave the forum just amazes me. How about treating with contempt  because  that  they deserve? bEST WISHES lORNA.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2005, 13:05:30 »
PS sorry about poor typing etc.. I must have clicked post button before I had read through my message doh!!

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2005, 13:15:36 »
Derek,  :'(. I'm another that was hoping to get to know you better. Please don't go  :(

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2005, 13:27:00 »
So very sorry you are leaving Derek. You have been a great contributor and it will be sad not to have your input. I am shocked to hear that anyone receives abusive pm's and I would urge anyone to report these to Dan so action can be taken.  Please don't let a very minor few drive you away.  :( busy_lizzie   
live your days not count your years

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2005, 13:38:51 »
:'( :'( :'(
Derek I spoke to you on my one visit to the chatroom, and have enjoyed your comments in the short time I have been here.
I must be so innocent cos it never occurred to me that anyone would send abusive PMs.
Please reconsider and ask Dan to remove PM privileges from that person.
If you still want to go you will be sadly missed by me, and lots of others.

madmum

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2005, 13:50:58 »
Derek
I was saddened to see that you are leaving this site due to the unwanted messages from a user. Is there any way of blocking certain users from using your inbox if they are being abusive?

It is obvious from the replies on this posting today that there are MANY MANY more people here who will miss you and hold you in high regard than the minority that have driven you away.

This site has seen me through a tough time and I look forward to reading the friendly banter and support while I plan a lottie.

I wish you all the very best
M

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal