Author Topic: which chillie plants to grow  (Read 1708 times)

weedgrower

• Half Acre
which chillie plants to grow
« on: September 04, 2005, 09:03:14 »
i have grown some chillies, hot hot  hot variety by thomson & morgan. the plants have produced a heck of a lot of chillies. my problem is that the plants are 6 feet tall and are taking up too much room. does anyone know of a chillie plant that only grows about 2 feet maximum.
takes over your life doesn't it

madmum

• Half Acre
Re: which chillie plants to grow
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 10:56:07 »
HAVE A SPARE PACKET OF HOT PEPPER CARIBBEAN BLEND, IT DOSN'T GIVE A SIZE OF PLANT ON THE PACKET.
IF YOU WANT TO CHECK THEM OUT (HAVE GOOGLED BUT NO LUCK) AND WANT THEM YOU ARE WELCOME TO TRY THEM.

PM ME

Noozan

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 14:26:40 »
This year, I have grown jalapeno, fresno, red cherry and tepin.  None of the plants have grown to more than about 18 inches to 2 foot tall - would you like to try any of those?
Birdie, birdie in the sky, dropped a poopie in my eye.  I did not scream, I did not cry, I just thanked God that cows can't fly!

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 20:58:24 »
My auroras, ornamental and very hot, have been the winners in terms of looks and economy of size: none above 2 ft.  Prob got a few seeds to spare.  PM me if interested.

Ern

• Not So New ...
  • Another Place
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 17:29:59 »
  I'm growing Fresno & Hungarian Wax, neither more than a couple of feet. My catalogue (Tuckers) says that the Hungarian Wax is green, then yellow. Well, mine have been both, and are now turning a nice, warm orange. Have I left them too long, or is that normal ?  Also, I noticed a blemish on one of the fruits, yesterday, cut it open and found I'd been visited by a small caterpillar - that's what it looked like anyway.  Anyone know what it is ?

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 18:24:01 »
I'm growing Fresno & Hungarian Wax, neither more than a couple of feet. My catalogue (Tuckers) says that the Hungarian Wax is green, then yellow. Well, mine have been both, and are now turning a nice, warm orange. Have I left them too long, or is that normal ?
Quite normal. They can be harvested at any time, the more orange in them the greater the nutritional benefit to you (peppers are vastly superior providers of vitamin C than oranges for instance).
i have grown some chillies, hot hot hot variety by thomson & morgan. the plants have produced a heck of a lot of chillies. my problem is that the plants are 6 feet tall and are taking up too much room. does anyone know of a chillie plant that only grows about 2 feet maximum.
The eventual size would be very dependent upon the conditions they were grown under. Different weather conditions in the future, especially the amount of heat, may produce a considerably smaller plant.  Alternatively you could start the plants later so that they don't have such a long growing season (assuming you may have too many actual chillies now as less fruit will probably be produced). Restricting applications of N will also produce smaller plants.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal