Author Topic: Bindweed  (Read 2459 times)

janebb

• Quarter Acre
Bindweed
« on: September 06, 2005, 18:02:08 »
As I am digging up my produce I am digging over the bits of the plot they were on.  Bindweed has been a big problem this year (the first on this lottie) and I have been digging it out all summer.  I know that I have to get all the roots out or else they will regrow.  Does this mean just those horrible curly white things or does it also mean the white hair roots (which there are millions of).  If it means the latter I think I will go and shoot myself now!  Prefer not to use chemicals

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
Re: Bindweed
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 20:36:34 »
Bindweed is a difficult plant to control, however with the use of glyphosate it is possible to eradicate it fairly quickly.

It's a climbing herbaceous perennial, spreading by creeping underground stems, which root readily into virgin soil. Before the use of chemicals such as glyphosate digging it out was the best way to control it. The main problem with this method is that every small piece of root left turned into a new plant. With the roots being brittle it is almost impossible to remove the entire root, so inevitable after a short period of time the problem returned only this time it had become at least twice the size. As with horse's tail it is best to apply the glyphosate with a small paintbrush directly to the leaves. Unlike horses tail it should only take one or two applications to control the bindweed.

Other methods include hoeing repeatedly to exhaust the bindweed as new stems appear.This is one of those occasions when you may have to ditch the soley organic method as the end result justifies the means!!!!!
Hope this helps
Kev
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 23:14:23 »
Digging does get there eventually but it takes years. Hoeing will weaken it, and presumably kill it eventually, but I've been doing it to some of mine for two seasons now and it's still there! I won't use glyphosate though.

TEL

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 06:03:52 »
Hi KevB
can you tell me where i can get glyphosate.

Ta

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 08:06:59 »
Another method to get rid of bindweed that worked for me was to place canes next to the bindweed as it came up, to let it climb up away from your crop, then when you want to kill it apply glyphosate to the plant by wrapping an old piece of polythene tight at the bottom, and open like a funnel at the top. You then spray into the enclosed area which stops any damage to your crop, and uses less glyphosate, as it is only directed at the problem plant. Most agricultural merchants sell glyphosate under various trade names, Roundup being the most expensive, but no more effective than lesser known brands.

Brian
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 18:40:05 by Gardenantics »

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 08:18:32 »
Another meathod to get rid of bindweed that worked for me was to place canes next to the bindweed as it came up, to let it climb up away from your crop, then when you want to kill it apply glyphosate to the plant by wrapping an old piece of polythene tight at the bottom, and open like a funnel at the top. You then spray into the enclosed area which stops any damage to your crop, and uses less glyphosate, as it is only directed at the problem plant. Most agricultural merchants sell glyphosate under various trade names, Roundup being the most expensive, but no more effective than lesser known brands.

Brian
Tel , I think the above statement says it all!! Cheers Kev
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

Alan_Y

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 08:30:57 »
I agree weed killer is the only short term solution with long term effects . I rotorvated my plot first then allowed it to come through again and spot sprayed as it appeared, that way I was killing a weed with a short root system rather than a well established one. With rotorvating first I was able to pull out some of it as the ground was loose which also saved on spray.

Good look.

Alan
As One Door Closes, Anther One Slams In Your Face.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 23:30:53 »
If you buy the Roundup Ultra 3000 - it is expensive but lasts a long, long time, so cheaper in the long run. There's some on Ebay at the moment, I think its normally about £37.00 here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7711524365&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN
I used it once on my bindweed, then pulled it out every time I saw some. Put it in my pocket and took it away to put in houshold rubbish. Now, three years later, any plants that do still come are thin, fragile and easily dealt with.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal