Author Topic: Chillington hoe / digger  (Read 4016 times)

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
Chillington hoe / digger
« on: September 07, 2005, 08:48:43 »
I've been swithering about getting one of these for a few weeks. Has anyone got any experience of them? Is is best to go for the chillington one or a clone?

:)
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

hemajo

• Quarter Acre
Re: Chillington hoe / digger
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 10:38:24 »
I was given one for Christmas by my sister who recommends them - it's a clone.  I have just used it to clear an area about 8ft by 5ft of apple mint which had overtaken the area over the last 8 years.  I found it good to use - the sharp edge cut through the soil and I liked the axe-like method.  My bad shoulder ached at the end of it though :-\  It made 'lighter' work of getting into rock-hard uncultivate clay soil.  It felt robust although the head slips down the handle sometimes. (I whack it back with a hammer) I have broken several forks in my soil before!  Hope this helps.
Helen

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 10:41:30 »
I was using one only yesterday (a 'clone', though I'm not comfortable with the term; it's a tool which was used for millennia before Chillington came along); it's much easier than a spade or a fork, and effective for everything except root crops and deep-rooted weeds.

Once the perennial weeds are out of a bed, I don't use anything else on it unless I'm digging roots.

hemajo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 10:46:34 »
I was using one only yesterday (a 'clone', though I'm not comfortable with the term; it's a tool which was used for millennia before Chillington came along); it's much easier than a spade or a fork, and effective for everything except root crops and deep-rooted weeds.

Once the perennial weeds are out of a bed, I don't use anything else on it unless I'm digging roots.

Mmmm, my sister called it an 'adze'. 
Helen

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 10:54:28 »
I have 2 Chillingtons, one a fork thingy and one regular! Love em and wouldn't be without, I am sure a clone works just as well though!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

spacehopper

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 12:43:08 »

Sorry for my clumsy use of language!  :-[
They are used all over the world and as you say have been for generations, so they must work well.

lancelotment

• Half Acre
  • Great North Swim, 1 mile open water, Windermere'08
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 13:56:05 »
I use a fork clone and wouldn't be without it.  It's about 50 year old but works great.  It's so easy to use and really puts no strain on you lower back.  All the work comes from your arms and shoulders so providing you have no problems with this part of your body you should be fine.  Use it like a pick axe and it can get through anything.  You also use its natural shape to lever weeds out rather then lift them out as you would have to with a standard fork.  My OH has a dodgy back but she is happy to wield the clone as well.  I used it to clear my main two 15' x 30' beds and two fruit and flower beds of 15' x 10'.  All were slightly overgrown and of fairly heavy clay.  Docs and dandelions came up with roots intact.  Since getting it I've only used my standard fork for lifting my spuds.  Certainly worth a try.  Lance
Getting there - just rather slowly!!

Mubgrub

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 14:18:54 »
Mmmm, my sister called it an 'adze'. 

I thought an adze was a type of axe, silly me ::)

Diana

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005, 14:23:36 »
Please excuse my ignorance, but how do you use it? Stand legs apart + weald it from above your head? ???
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

amphibian

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2005, 15:11:27 »
I think the confusion arises because the Spanish call Chillington style hoes 'Azada', this seems to have got mixed up with the word 'Adze', which is one of these...

...and is used for woodwork.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2005, 15:39:16 »
Digging hoe would be more traditional. I wouldn't be without one.

Mubgrub

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2005, 15:52:58 »
I think the confusion arises because the Spanish call Chillington style hoes 'Azada', this seems to have got mixed up with the word 'Adze', which is one of these...

Ah, I'm not going mad then! ;D  Thanks for clearing that up Amphibian ;D

Dominique

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2005, 16:11:37 »
it's much easier than a spade or a fork, and effective for everything except root crops and deep-rooted weeds.

I also used mine for earthing up potatoes (the ground was rock hard).  There's also a fork one that's good for the deep-rooted weeds.
I don't know how the prices compare but I got mine from http://www.get-digging.co.uk
D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2005, 22:15:58 »
Some of my docks go down so far that a fork won't shift them. Same goes for the parsnips. I'll stick to conventional tools for that sort of job.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2005, 09:25:16 »
there's another link about Chillington hoes on here somewhere, where the subject is discussed in detail with all the web address and info etc  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

spacehopper

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2005, 20:27:05 »
 :o I searched for it Wardy...not only is there I recent link but I posted on it!!  :-[
Must remember to search before posting!

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2005, 01:06:58 »
 ;D lol...I do that too!!! Just so excited about my plot that i forget to look!!
A chap on my site lent me a mattock to get through all the weeds. Scary looking thing like a pick axe....but once I got the hang of it.......it was a miracle!!!!
Made me think about all these old tools which are used all over the world for a really good reason...they work!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal