Author Topic: Best Gigs  (Read 8431 times)

Maddy

• Half Acre
Re: Best Gigs
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2005, 16:04:33 »
Heldi,  you're lucky...I took my mum to see Neil Diamond in  2003, I usually quite like him too and the price of the tickets was astronomical and there was no atmosphere at all, it was the worst gig I've ever been too.

M.

RosieM

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2005, 09:30:31 »
Gadfium,

My turn to be jealous, I would love to have seen John Denver! Although from my list you can see that in those days( and now I suppose) I was a rock fan, I think he has one of the most stunning and identifiable voices in music and I still miss him.   :'(

Strangely enough I bought a CD a couple of weeks ago and my sister took it home with her on Sunday to reminisce, hugely enjoyable.

RosieM   :)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2005, 10:51:06 »
The original Woodstock. (If only - far too young for that - but the film was fabulous!) and The Grateful Dead's Europe '72 tour (ditto re age - but the album is great!)

But ones I've actually been to (not a huge number - best first):
David Byrne a couple of years ago - saw him twice, first time was best - right by the stage - literally - his base player was rather nice!
Julian Cope in 96 - really fun
Divine Comedy in 96/7 - pretty good
Reading in 94 - the Chilli Peppers were good
REM - Milton Keynes in 95 - pretty naff. Will never go to a big stadium gig again (except a festival).
gone to pot :D

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2005, 23:04:50 »
I have to admit Maddy it was the first concert (Neil Diamond) I went to where people actually sat down inbetween songs. I went feeling it might be a bit naff but I had a really fab night !

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2005, 12:24:33 »
Julian Cope in 96 - really fun

Hi Aquilegia, did you get to see the 2005 version? Absolutely barking, completely off his face and totally brilliant. And better jokes than most stand-up comics! Just wish he'd stop doing that horrible thing with the mike stand... :P

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2005, 12:31:48 »
bob marley 1980 glasgow apollo
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2005, 13:32:38 »
Saw the Woodstock Movie at midnight at the Stoll (now the Opera House) in Newcastle at the time it was released.  Was fantastic, almost like a gig as the atmosphere in the cinema was amazing, with people dancing in the aisles and head banging at the front of the screen to the music.  :) busy_lizzie   
live your days not count your years

Yellow Petals

« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2005, 13:47:39 »
Hubby and I went to see Alison Krauss and Union Station over the weekend, they were fantastic.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2005, 14:02:24 »
Rob - no missed it. To be honest I haven't listen to him for years. Although Mr Aqui recently bought a copy of his book, The Modern Antiquarian, which we've been both reading as it's fantastic! Put on a few of his CDs too - still most enjoyable. Sounds like a great gig - he's such a showman!
gone to pot :D

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2005, 15:00:52 »
Living on the I.W. I was lucky enough to see all three of the early pop festivals here. I must have seen all the great names of the time along with all the 'beautiful people' As my gardening skills at the time consisted of just growing certain pot plants, I cannot remember a lot of it. But as they say "If you can remember the sixties you wern't  there".
I have now returned to flower power but in a different sort of way.

The new I.W. festivals still create a lot of fun for the youngsters but since I have turned into my dear old dad, I call it the Devils music ;

I do get to play some backing tracks nowadays for some famous names. But it is all done remotely in a studio. I play my bit and it is dubbed in somewhere else if they like it , so I never get to meet the bands.

I told my wife when I first met here that I was very nearly rich and very nearly famous. She is still waiting.

Plastic Pig

• Not So New ...
  • Do ....The Truffle Shuffle with Me!!!!
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2005, 21:56:23 »

Me thinks Eric Clapton concert my husband and  saw at Earls Court ranks highly and when I was 13 I saw Mud (Tiger Feet and all that).....and the Queen waved to me and hubby and children a few years back on the way back to Sandringham House. Our cars passed ,only two on the road so it was us he waved too. I would have rather it been the band though ,instead of H.R.H!
Happy as a Pig in  ..... an allotment!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal