7X5
1 (4.8%)
8X6
4 (19%)
bigger....
7 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: December 10, 2005, 16:38:00

Author Topic: size of a shed on your lottie  (Read 2618 times)

woppa30

• Half Acre
size of a shed on your lottie
« on: December 05, 2005, 16:38:00 »
I am in the process of replacing the old battered shed that was on my lottie when I took it over. Its too small and falling apart. I would like to say money no option or even size but I am leaning towards a 7x5 pent type shed, being tall it will give me a bit more head space I think with plenty of storage space for my 1.5 allotments.
Thanks in advance for your answer and insightful comments, been a "lurker" for a while now and enjoying every visit :-)

joniandmoss

• Not So New ...
Re: size of a shed on your lottie
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 16:45:58 »
we built ours this summer out of wood scraps and junk we got from skips. The only things we paid for were the 4 upright posts in each corner, the concrte to put em in with and the roofin felt and sealant. It turned out 8x8 just because  it did! Even then it dosent seem very big after all we have a tableand chair inside as well as shelves and a storgae. Very cosy tho wiv a bit of carpet !Its a very strong shed anyway and I love it!

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 16:53:08 »
I got my second hand 7x5 shed for £30 and felt pretty smug about it too. But by the time I'd replaced the roof felt, re-painted it and bought drinks for the friends who helped me put it up...well, it wasn't bargain of the year!

Still, very happy with the finished result and the kids love it already so what the heck? Can't stand up in it without banging my head though!
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 16:57:23 »
i think its like a Greenhouse, buy the biggest you can wiht your budget and with the space you have.

Mines 8x6 and big enough really, but would love to have a big 12x8 one, with the double doors etc, can never have enough room.

I think you got to have it big enough so you can sit in their when the weather isnt too good, but still have enough room to stroe your tools etc. alternativly, buy a 7x5 of similar and mayvbe ahve that as a ncie tidyt shed that you can relax in so to speak and buy the small plastic type things for your spade etc.

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 18:09:18 »
Small and net, more room to grow things then!

;-)

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 11:23:16 »
This is my shed - a freebie but needed re-roofing and tarting up  :)  It's so fab I could live in it.  It even has a worktop for me to do my tea mashing and cooking and a potting bench  :) 
I came, I saw, I composted

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 12:08:49 »
That looks really fabulous Wardy, mine is a shanty looking affair, made from reclaimed pallets, but it is good and solid ...

Derekthefox :D

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 12:24:40 »
We're not allowed sheds :'(. , only lock-up boxes. It's a shame....I'd be happy with a teeny shed; I've seen some really cute wooden ones in catalogues. But instead I'll probably have to get one of those plastic Keter garden stores.
No greenhouses or other structures allowed either... Thinking of creating a pond using my kids' old plastic sandpit. Wonder if that would be classified as a structure ???

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 14:23:48 »
our shed is really just a wardrobe - we think. it's slowly falling apart as wardrobes are not made to go outdoors ;D
so it's about 80cm wide, 60 deep and about this high - enough for my tools and it has two shelves to put stuff on - it is full but fine.

we only live around the corner so no need for us to store chairs/make bad weather refuge in it

and it has to be small when we eventually come to replace it - the plot is bijou and if i put a proper shed on it, i will be down one bed (of 6!!!)
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

tilly

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2006, 20:18:50 »
I'd ove a shed, but our allotment does not allow anything at all building wise over 3 foot.   ???
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life..

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2006, 20:57:56 »
Mine's massive, but in a late stage of decay. Part of it's already had to go for the sake of the flood defences. What I'd like to do is get a big shed for tools etc, then knock it down and put up a nice summerhouse in its place. It's a question of funds though; does anyone know anything about building decent quality sheds or summerhouses? I'm thinking in terms of using old floorboards or something similar if I can find them.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 01:02:29 »
6x8 nominally, this was really dictated by the size of the available timber. Iwas only using reclaimed materials, and I got hold of some plasterboard pallets. So the shed just ended up the size it did. I don;t look pretty, but it is solid, and has endured 5 years so far without any problems ... and essentially it cos me now either ...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal