Author Topic: Any new info on the green cones?  (Read 1367 times)

shirl

• Quarter Acre
Any new info on the green cones?
« on: September 06, 2005, 13:33:10 »
Hi everyone

I am getting my new green cone tomorrow Yaaay!

I know this subject was covered before but I wondered if there were any updates, ie has it improved the soil around them etc or are they simply to help shift kitchen waste?

I was thinking of putting my near my boundry but my neighbour has a huge tree there that already shades my greenhouse, I dont want the liquid waste from the cone seeping out and feeding the tree!!!

gayle

• Not So New ...
Re: Any new info on the green cones?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 18:57:28 »
ok whats a green cone ??? then?

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 20:37:17 »
The green cone (thinking of getting one myself) is an environmentally friendly way of disposing of food waste, bones and dog muck (I understand).  The unit stays in situ and is not meant as a compost bin - just a means of safely disposing of bones and dog muck, food scraps in a safe and environmentally friendly manner.  There is no compost to be got from it - you just leave it where it is, with its base buried as per instructions, and put your stuff in it which you would not put in your compost bin.  I think that's right  :)

There's been so much on here about it but folks have the wrong end of the stick about what the green cone does or not does that the debate got a bit heated if I recall.  Please don't kick off again peeps  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

shirl

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 22:23:26 »
Yes Wardy, I read the other threads lol.

Basically, they shouldnt be thought of as composters, as you dont get compost from them.  They need to be in a sunny position so the heat, (they are double walled to keep the heat in) combined with the bugs, worms etc, turn the waste into liquid fertilzer that drains away into the ground.   You are left with a bit of waste that needs emptying out every two years or so.

They are really for kitchen waste, rather than garden waste, so compliment a composter, rather than replace it.

We are getting it as the waste we produce is shocking.  I am hoping to reduce my bin rubbish by a third simply by using the green cone.

I am looking forward to testing it out, we have our buckets filling up in anticipation!  ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 23:00:22 »
Shirl   Did you buy yours or was it compliments of the local council ?
I came, I saw, I composted

shirl

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 23:10:07 »
Hi Wardy.

Well I have been researching them for quite a while and decided to try my local council for help in getting one.

I emailed them twice over the space of about ten months to enquire, but both times was told they werent subsidising them at the moment.

Then I decided to try pleading lol!  I rang them up and told them we were going under with the amount of kitchen waste we had............ and they said they had a spare green cone from a previous trial and I could have it for free.  They are even coming round tomorrow to show me how to use it!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal