Author Topic: I'd love to make mead  (Read 2454 times)

ant57

• Not So New ...
I'd love to make mead
« on: September 01, 2005, 17:30:28 »
Hi there

Can anyone help me with a tried and tested (fool proof) recipe and instructions on how I can make mead. I would like to make a sweet rather than dry drink.

Many thanks

Ant57 :-[

fluffygrue

• Acre
Re: I'd love to make mead
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 23:26:11 »
Just asked the other half, and he says bung five and a half pounds of honey in. It'll end up sweet no matter what, as that's about twice as much honey as you need. Works for us, although I suppose it helps if you have a good source of honey! :)

Melanie

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
  • There's a bl**dy great big plane near my allotment
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 00:12:27 »
This is the way I make my mead, though be warned, I've no idea how strong it turns out!It tastes stronger than Continental Beers but not as strong as wine.  Tastes great! ;D  It's only fairly sweet so if you add 5-6lbs as suggested by fluffygrue, it'll be sweet!  I've no idea what it tastes like after 6 months as I've never had any last that long!  :)

Ingredients

1.8Kg (4lb) Brown Honey
1 Large Lemon
200g (7 oz) demerara sugar
20g (3/4 oz) citric or tartaric acid
3.5 l (6 pints) warm water
500g raisins (Optional if not using Yeast Nutrient)
1 Packet Winemakers Yeast + Yeast Nutrient
1g Potassium Sorbate
1 Campden Tablet

Process

Dissolve the honey in warm water, and add the acid.  Squeeze the juice from the lemon and strain it.  When the must (honey + water) is cool, stir in the lemon juice and add the yeast.  Pour it into a demi-john, fit an airlock and ferment in a warm, dark place for a week.  Take off the airlock and stir in the sugar.  Replace the airlock, and leave it until there are no new bubbles in the airlock for a few days.

Rack the wine into a sterilized jar using a piece of sterilized tubing, and then add a crushed campden tablet and the potassium sorbate to end the fermentation permanently.

Wait until you can read a paper through the demi-john then siphon off into bottles, taking care not to disturb the sediment.

Leave to mature for 6 months before drinking unless you can't keep your mucky mitts off it like me!
Sheldon, Birmingham.  I've put the pin on Google Earth where my shed is, in the allotments.  It's in an area with a satellite photo which is cool!  You can't miss it, there's a bl**dy great big Airport next door!

Travman

• Half Acre
  • Castleford, West Yorkshire anybody near me
    • castown fc
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 18:15:49 »
Theres 72 pages on mead making on this siteĀ  ;)
loads of different one's to try
http://www.lockwoodrecording.net/meadrecipes.pdf

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal