Author Topic: Robins  (Read 1782 times)

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Robins
« on: September 29, 2005, 14:02:54 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

I got a full scale war in my garden today.  The Robins are at war, all three of them.  Flying hither and thither, feet locked in mid air and then dashing off to various bushes to start all over again.  Hope the resident one wins the fight but who knows, cant tell them apart.   ::) ::) ::) ::)

Gardengirl

• Hectare
Re: Robins
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 15:36:23 »
I'm so sorry to hear your news Carol as Robins are my favourite bird.  I always think of them as being very mild mannered little creatures as they are so friendly to humans.  Such a shame to hear they fight amongst themselves :'(
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 15:44:56 »
You obviously haven't seen the nature documentaries which depict them as highly territorial and agressive, not to mention promiscuous and unfaithful mates.

Pretty though and I do enjoy seeing them in the garden.  We've only had one pair at a time so far so no war zones.
Obxx - Vendée France

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 16:51:20 »
Yes robins are highly territorial. They will literally fight with a feather..if it's a red one !  Still I love to see them.  :)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 16:53:31 »
Two fought to the death in my shed.  I was really upset when I found them both.

I have a new one which has taken over now and he practically sits on my hand  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 16:55:47 »
We have one that has been nesting in the shed we inhereted. It some how got stuck in there the other night and when I opened the shed door I was nearly knocked over by it thankful of a way out I think lol :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 20:05:39 »
The juveniles have no red breasts, and don't attract an aggressive response. In the autumn, they mould, developthe red breast, and war breaks out until all the territory is parcelled out and the unsuccessful birds have been harried until they starve.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal