Author Topic: How should I harvest sweetcorn  (Read 1502 times)

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
How should I harvest sweetcorn
« on: August 30, 2005, 19:55:21 »
I know that you have to be careful not to snap the main stem (mine are mini-pop) but it doesn't feel right to peel back the leaf so as I can find the end of the cob to cut it off.  Even doing that I managed to snap one today.  :-\

Can someone please give instruction as to the correct method of separating the cob from the stem?

Thanks Iain
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
Re: How should I harvest sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 21:13:22 »
I simply hold the corn and push down snapping the corn at the stem. Never have a problem with the stem snapping.

Jerry
(Pass the melted butter and freshly ground black pepper)
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 11:48:14 »
oops - too late - snapped the stem!
Will the other growing further down the stem carry on growing or is it game over?

only harvetsed one, not very successfuly - only about 4 inches long, the blackfly had beaten us to it too, but still tasted lovely!  :)

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 11:55:23 »
Minipop okay when stem snapped.  The high winds that trashed my beans also snapped two of said plants.  The corn is still coming though -but...I know the mini's don't need to be pollinated whereas the normal size cobs do.   My best guess would be therefore that if the flower snaps off before pollination then no cobs will develop.

Iain
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal