Author Topic: indoor winter seeds  (Read 1330 times)

madmum

• Half Acre
indoor winter seeds
« on: August 25, 2005, 19:50:09 »
What else, apart from trying the chilli peppers, can I sow indoors for a type of crop over the winter?
I have planted some lettuces and cress.
Any ideas?

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
Re: indoor winter seeds
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 22:56:06 »
Not sure about indoors, but you could try broad beans, peas and onions (from sets not seeds) outdoors.

Hopefully someone more knowledgable will be along to help soon!
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 00:19:27 »
I'm trying for some spinach, but I haven't a clue. It depends what kind of space you have, I suppose. If a conservatory, maybe you could extend the growing season of plants that don't depend on the length of the day, though I don't know which these might be :-[
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 00:28:55 »
You can try:
Radishes, spring onions, carrots and turnips (as 'baby' veg), loose leaf lettuce.
If you have the light and the room, you could try starting off tomatoes at the end of December. They don't need high light levels to germinate, just the correct temperature. After that the temperature can be reduced but you need good light or they'll get leggy. You can grow them on successfully with supplementary lighting.

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 00:35:04 »
Really? I have a tomato plant from the garden centre on my window sill, it has flowers; is there any chance I might get fruit? I have had fruit from a plant there before (three to be precise and my then-flatmates ate two of them) but I figured it was a fluke.
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal