Author Topic: Why can't I be different?  (Read 2644 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Why can't I be different?
« on: August 23, 2005, 17:39:05 »
Thought I was till today. This happened almost overnight!! The last row of Nicola.

Just hoping that Lady Balfour - next rows -  will fight it off.

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
Re: Why can't I be different?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 18:02:11 »
Is that blight Tim or are they just dying off, hope its the latter.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 18:04:20 »
I have to say when my King Eds started to die off I though I had got blight - and it was confirmed by a fellow lottier.  However, the brown stuff did not progress any faster than I would have expected and when wet there has been no sign of spores.  I just chopped back as each haulm went yellow and started to die off.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 19:13:10 »
I did my potatoes by various no dig methods this year ('planted' on surface covered with leafmould & planted in stacks of tyres). No blight - while all around were being wiped out...

Probably just lucky though...
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 19:45:04 »
Me too TM   Just harvested my first Desiree's.  Mine are in manure on top of cardboard and I could see some pinky red spuds poking through the manure so thought I'd have a look so pulled one out.  Absolutely perfect!  Not a hole or blemish and loads of spuds off just one plant.  The skins are a beautiful colour and are like new potatoes.  I'll tell you what they taste like in a mo  :)  I thought I'd come on here while waiting for them to cook  :)

I planted this variety as I was told slugs don't like them.  It seems on first appearances that this might well have been sound advice.  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 20:38:00 »
Richard - that, sadly, is very much blight!

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 20:52:58 »
Me too TM   Just harvested my first Desiree's.  Mine are in manure on top of cardboard and I could see some pinky red spuds poking through the manure so thought I'd have a look so pulled one out.  Absolutely perfect! 

I don't know about you Wardy, but my spud digging/earthing up days are over! (Thank you Mr Cooper).
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 09:19:22 »
Mine never started TM  ;D 
I came, I saw, I composted

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 10:08:33 »
My maincrops are gradually dying back with yellowing leaves, but I have no clue if it's blight or just that they're ready.  Not been growing them long enough to have the experience to tell.

I wish it was easier to identify.  (Though I suspect the gradual yellowing means it's not blight in my case)

Dug a load of earlies yesterday - no sign of the plants left apart from some straggly dry stems but there were a lot of spuds hiding!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 14:34:07 »
Is the main sign that its blight rather than natural the speed at which yellowing and falling over occurs? 

Was coinfident my King Edwards were fine but being slowly yellowing and falling over for a few weeks - is that normal or blight.  Have looked at some of the web sites but not that clear as to the definitive answer.
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 15:07:48 »
Blight shows as dark brown patches, on leaves and stems that quickly (QUICKLY) spreads, and is not like the normally dying down of leaves. Same on tomatoes, and the fruits also get brown blotches. It's definitely out of the ordinary and I would say that the most distinguishing thing is how quickly it spreads, literally within one or two days, your entire crop can be hit.

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2005, 14:45:09 »
Thanks for that Jenny - I'm safe then.  phew.

Iain
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2005, 19:52:09 »
jenny - you obviously read my post!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal