Author Topic: Protecting plants.  (Read 1727 times)

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
Protecting plants.
« on: August 23, 2005, 00:00:44 »
well the dark nights are coming and the cold ones too, Up here in Manchester quite soon !!!

well i need to know about protecting my plants for the winter months. firstly bananas? what do you all do? theres sooo many ways but which is best?

second, tree ferns: chicken wire and straw in the top?? anything for the rest of it??

thirdly: small ferns: anything need doing? cover with straw??

think thats about it. cheers.

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
Re: Protecting plants.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 08:45:13 »
Don't talk about dark nights Adam, we're just about to go on holiday! Anyway,we stuff the crowns of our tree ferns with straw. I think we used to put a bit of fleece over that but didn't bother last year, but we are in balmy London. Unless any of your small ferns are tender then nothing is necessary. Don't grow bananas.

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
Re: Protecting plants.
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 18:58:26 »
well the dark nights are coming and the cold ones too, Up here in Manchester quite soon !!!

well i need to know about protecting my plants for the winter months. firstly bananas? what do you all do? theres sooo many ways but which is best?

second, tree ferns: chicken wire and straw in the top?? anything for the rest of it??

thirdly: small ferns: anything need doing? cover with straw??

think thats about it. cheers.

Hi Adam I've just asked a similar question and i'm from your neck of the woods (Warrington) so we should know soon! Kev
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal