Author Topic: Naked Gardeners  (Read 6269 times)

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
Naked Gardeners
« on: August 22, 2005, 23:39:34 »
Me and my wife have just had a holiday in and around Bath, She was at the university in the 70's, and we thought a nostalgia trip was in order. Anyway, we thought we would see a few nice gardens while we were there, and saw a garden in a guide book called Abbey House Gardens, that looked good, so off we went. When we arrived we saw a notice on the gate saying it was a "Clothes Optional Day", and naturists would be allowed free run of the gardens, Well we thought OK we don't mind, paid and went in. It took a bit of getting used to, but the gardens are great, so you could concentrate on that. It was a big experiment, as I believe it is the first event organised where none naturists were allowed to mix. We remained fully clothed, but many people took advantage of the warm weather and walked round naked.
Would you have gone in? Try it on the allotment, and gauge the reaction of fellow plot holders! It was a memorable experience, and we were not offended at all.
Brian
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 23:41:52 by Gardenantics »

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
Re: Naked Gardeners
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 09:01:50 »
We went to those gardens a couple of years ago when we were visiting the Garden Festival at Westonbirt Arboretum (I have missed it & hope it will happen again soon tho' I gather in a different location). Anyway, not knowing about the owners of Abbey Gardens were a little surprised to see an extremely brown older man wandering round doing the gardening in skimpy silk boxer shorts. We would have been even more surprised if he had gone the whole hog! I have since seen articles about him & his wife. I'm afraid gardening in the nude would be far too dangerous. It's bad enough being clothed.

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 09:22:50 »
I saw a TV programme about these people....  :D slightly nuts methinks... or maybe its the rest of us who are crazy  ::)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 09:55:46 »
There was once a complaint about a guy sunbathing in the nude on his plot on my site. Whoever it was that complained must have gone to a great deal of trouble to peer through the hedge to spy on him!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 11:45:56 »
I agree Wardy.  I only wear shorts and little vests in the summer on the plot, and I always get stung, burnt and scratched...imagine if your most sensitive parts were free!

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 13:44:18 »
I agree Wardy.  I only wear shorts and little vests in the summer on the plot, and I always get stung, burnt and scratched...imagine if your most sensitive parts were free!

Someone I used to know said that they were going somewhere in the car when she needed to erm, empty her bladder. Only after she had done that, she realised what plants were erm, in the area and she erm, got erm stung
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 16:05:40 »
Imagine clearing brambles... :-X
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 18:47:30 »
The gardens claim to have the largest selection of roses in the UK, so I guess they must be used to the odd prick now on then. I shouldn't mock, as they were all very pleasant towards us "Textiles" as they call the rest of the world who wear clothes.They have a website called; www.nakedgardeners.co.uk. and the gardens do too; www.abbeyhousegardens.co.uk. Have a peep, you may be tempted!

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 20:52:16 »
Red ants.  Yeowch !
Get with the beat Baggy

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2005, 21:00:43 »
Multiveg,

Tell your erm, 'friend' that a pile of dock leaves in her knickers

might have provided relief from the stings...

(Hee Hee )  ;D  ;D  ;D

Debs ;)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 08:57:10 »
Saw this in the paper and thought OUCH! They obviously don't have as many stinging nettles as me! ;D
Oh and dock leaves down your knickers don't work, trust me!! :-[ ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2005, 09:32:07 »
Funny you should mention nettles. I didn't see any, not one in all the gardens, but I bet they cleared them fully clothed, or got the other gardener to do it!

Brian

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2005, 10:44:48 »
Red ants.  Yeowch !

My experience of red ants is that they don't care whether you are dressed or not - in fact a good item of clothing is a bonus - the victim goes ouch and struggles pats at clothing, and rather than being brushed off the ant just ends up somewhere else and does it all over again. :'(
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2005, 16:05:54 »
There is a big notice saying NO DOGS ALLOWED. I can imagine it would be quite a shock if a dog came up behind you and stuck it's wet nose where they usually do, very up close and personal.

Brian

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2005, 21:30:22 »
;D Tee hee that tickled ;D :o No! not like that ::) I was just imagining the newbie naked lottie fellows going up to young lottie ladies and saying..."I'm very pleased to meat you" and her saying..."Yes I can see you are" :o Oops! delete wrong section ;D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2005, 23:28:22 »
Roy   :o  :o  ;D 
And I have been known to get nasty looks as I wander around Waitrose in me mud, boots n shorts after a days dig, not a pretty sight I have to say, but when it is your nearest supermarket, wots a gel to do???!!!
Oh and Baggy, I now carry anti itch cream in my car cos of the red ants, I dispise em!  (but they seem to like me lots! ;D)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

jamesthehat

• Not So New ...
  • plough the fields and scatter
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2005, 17:58:35 »
my gardens on a balcony on an estate.The net curtains would be falling of the wall if started watering the plants ou naturell.ha ha.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2005, 10:14:08 »
You could strategically place ...thehat.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2005, 18:14:39 »
Would that be under the new blocking of light legislation?
Sorry

Brian

amphibian

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2005, 22:13:55 »
Roy   :o  :o  ;D 
And I have been known to get nasty looks as I wander around Waitrose in me mud, boots n shorts after a days dig, not a pretty sight I have to say, but when it is your nearest supermarket, wots a gel to do???!!!
Oh and Baggy, I now carry anti itch cream in my car cos of the red ants, I dispise em!  (but they seem to like me lots! ;D)

OPur soil is particularly stubborn (presumably because of its high clay content) it clings to your skin and resists washing to ana mazing degree. I go everywhere muddy these days, and I simply don't care. They can keep their clean clothes and shiny floors.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal