Author Topic: Lawn preparation  (Read 2520 times)

undercarriage plan

Lawn preparation
« on: August 22, 2005, 18:13:43 »
Out of my depth here, help needed! My best mate has just moved into a new build house. She's wanting to sow grass seed for a back lawn. I know vaguely that you're supposed to get fine tilth, remove weeds etc, but the problem is her soil is pure clay, and it's very fluffy at the moment.  When you stand on it, your foot sinks into the soil.  Plus it's been rainging non-stop here all day!! So far, we've decided to go to our local tip to see if they'll deliver a load of compost, but not sure how to progress from there. Thanks all, lottie  ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Lawn preparation
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 18:49:18 »
No idea Lottie, I have always used turf for big areas and seed just for thickening the lawn up or small bare patches.  Googled and found this.  Someone out there will know the answer!

http://www.gardenadvice.co.uk/howto/lawns/new-lawn/

undercarriage plan

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 19:41:28 »
EJ, you're a star, thanks, I'll forward the address to her! Lottie ;D

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 21:00:53 »
I've sent you a long pm, hope it helps.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 09:21:53 »
Thanks Jennym, I've printed it off and taking it to her later. If this doesn't help, then think we'll concrete it over and make skate board Park..... :o Lottie  ;)

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 12:56:31 »
you probably need a rotavator, to chrun up the soil, not the best day today if its raining. rotavtae spread your compost and then rotavate some more. :D next, you need to traple it down a bit so go for a walk. Then....rake the surface , spread your seed and wait. it might be easier to turf though. i think it is anyway. especially on clay!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 19:38:35 »
I hate lawns and there;'s no real short cut if she's got heavy clay.  It won't be a success if the prep is not right as it won't drain if you don't break up the hard pan of soil.  Exposing the soil to winter frosts might help but if you want to do it now you've got to break up that soil.  I'm not on clay at this house but the lawn was rushed and it shows  :(
I came, I saw, I composted

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 20:17:30 »
your right wardy, bad lawns look a mess. especially ones with weeds, but i wont go into that, with some good prep tho thye can be the centre piece of a garden (and rightfully so!)

undercarriage plan

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 22:41:30 »
Well, she's definie about wanting a lawn, and I think it's needed for her kids!! But surely if, after all that preparation ,we go marching up and down on it, it'll just turn the soil to concrete? And where is the cheapest place to get good organic matter to dig in? I phoned council and they were really unhelpful.  Would only charge £7.50 per tonne, but would have to collect it ourselves and not having lorry, could prove difficult!! Thanks for all help to date.  Lottie ;D

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2005, 22:56:45 »
i know, its a strange concept, i think the idea is that then you have a layer of solidish ground for the roots to bed into. just like when you plant something you push the edges around to make sure the roots arent going to grow into fresh air!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2005, 23:11:07 »
Mmmm, sure you right, just find it goes against the grain to go stomping all over clay!! But will dig in organic matter as well, think I'll add load of grit/sand for good measure too, close my eyes and stomp!! Lottie  ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2005, 00:22:00 »
When I make a lawn, I just plant seed, let it grow a bit, then mow it. On one occasion I just took something like permanent pasture and mowed it. It's always worked.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2005, 09:13:29 »
My oh made some lawn but didn't tread or roll it first and of course when the grass grew and it got walked on it just sunk.  I told him but would he listen  ;D

Lawns bore me to death.  I couldn't care less if they have weeds in.  I do quite like sticking the fork in all over it though to aerate it as it's good stress relief  :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 09:15:35 by wardy »
I came, I saw, I composted

undercarriage plan

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2005, 14:58:56 »
LOL, Wardy!! Think Robert's plan probably best!! I know from experience that the more care I give something, the more likely it is to keel over  ::) Lottie  ;D

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2005, 17:53:20 »
if you dont want to go walking all over it, you can give it a soak, that compacts the soil too.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal