Author Topic: Watercress  (Read 3749 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Watercress
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2005, 22:24:31 »
Fasciola hepatica link here: http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~parasite/fasciola.html

Unless humans or other infected animals are shitting round your pond, or you're placing infected manure there (most unlikely) there will be no danger whatsoever. It's typically found in aminals which graze marshland, and spread to humans who eat partly cooked meat.

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2005, 07:01:27 »
Have you tried American Land Cress, tastes the same but just grow it in the garden and its pick and come again.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2005, 09:17:29 »
Thanks Robert! To my knowledge, I don't have any farm animals ***** around the pond! So, I'm going to try it! Lottie  ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2005, 10:07:15 »
I had a lovely pot of the land cress growing and then it suddenly collapsed and went all brown before I could prick them out. They looked really good, strong plants so don't know what afflicted them .  Must try again  :(
I came, I saw, I composted

Belinda

• Half Acre
  • Still learning
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2005, 13:15:15 »
I did the same thing early last year, rooted some supermarket watercress, planted it into very small pond plant baskets and wedged it in the crevices of the waterfall of our pond.

It took off like crazy, spread onto the surface of the water of the main pond and had to be cut back regularly. We've had so many meals from it I can't honestly remember how many, but I always make sure that I wash it thoroughly and then inspect it very closely. Sometimes I find wriggly things where the leaves join the main stem.

After more than 12 months neither I or the OH have had any ill effect so I'd say go for it!!

Belinda

undercarriage plan

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2005, 09:38:18 »
Well, I've eaten it.. :o :o :o! Was lovely, will be repeating the experience, no ill effects so far...... ;D Lottie

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal