Author Topic: Are these Huckleberries?  (Read 1524 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Are these Huckleberries?
« on: August 21, 2005, 22:17:33 »
Does anyone know if these are Huckleberries?  Were given the seeds in a seed swap, so in a blank envelope.  The fruits are still very hard, deep purple and seedy inside and they smell slightly like tomatos or spuds!  They aren't netted, and the birds haven't touched them....yet...could this be a bad sign?

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
Re: Are these Huckleberries?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 23:22:17 »
Well i have no idea, but they look delish and are growing well so i hope they dont turn out inedible
I LOVE OP AMPS!

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 10:41:53 »
if they are still hard, EJ, i would suggest this is why the birds havent had them yet.
they look like huckleberries to me - though i have only seen photos of them (did a search yesterday, actually - there are a couple of good american websites about)
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

titchhagger

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 17:15:09 »
Yes they are huckleberries exactly the same as mine.  Not nice to eat but good for muffins or jam.

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 19:59:54 »
question are they like a plant or like a rasperry cane ish if you know what i eman lol

carl
another member of i forgot my password

undercarriage plan

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 21:52:41 »
Same as mine, EJ, but if not sure, don't eat them!! Almost exact same as deadly nightshade too.  I had to leave whole crop cos deadly night shade grew up between plants!! Can't tell difference!! Was scared of cooking up deadly night shade pie!!!!  :o :o :o Lottie

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 22:51:22 »
Seems such a shame Lottie.  The berries are soooooooo big and plump, but so firm! 

They are annuals Carl, and little bushes, quite similar to blueberry bushes.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 22:58:27 »
I know EJ, but I was too worried, they looked identical!! Even had letter  published in GW when pointed out similarity, so not just me!! Lottie  :-\

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal