Author Topic: Allotment anyone?  (Read 7494 times)

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
Allotment anyone?
« on: August 19, 2005, 23:49:10 »
before i start i would just like to say this isnt advertising, well it is, but its more to let you know about this.

our plot is qucikly filling up except for 3 plots. these are full with weeds and need a bit of work to sort them out. However before you press the return button, our nice committe are willing to give away the plot free for a year. This will give you time to get yourself on your feet without having to pay money.

The job isnt too bad too, not too many perenial weeds.  Bit of leveling off and you will be fine.

We're a small bunch, located up Werneth low in Manchester, the plots are each about 100 sq metres, looking over the city of Manchester. fantastic for a sit back on those summer nights after a long dig or on a crisp winter morning before a dig!

If you are interested and want more information, either contact me or stick a message underneath. Cheers.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re: Allotment anyone?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 08:16:10 »
This is not an advert either, we are struggling to fill our allotment, it has only been up and running for 8 months, there are about 15 of us at the moment and doing quite well too.

There is space left for at least 17 to 20 more plots, the council will clear and prepare the soil for you free of charge and it will be rent free for first year after which you will be charged approx £20 per annum if over 60 years young it's half price. Each plot is approximately 170 square yards.

It is situated on the green belt with beautiful country side views very quiet although seagulls do break the silence occasionally, your allotment is protected by 6ft & 8ft high brand new steel fencing, water is on tap with four new stand pipes.

There is not a waiting list and there are plenty of plots to choose from, with tarmac driveways you can park right alongside of your own plot all this for just 39p per week.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 16:36:44 »
It's hard to believe that lotties aren't being snapped up!  Folks these days must be too well off  ;D   It's a good thing that the council are pitching in to help  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

daveandtara

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 20:31:22 »
talking of spare plots, we have a few.
there's no security and the vandals are many.
several sheds have been firebombed recently and a few plots have been smothered with weedkiller during the night but it appears these attacks were carried out by warring factions of allotment holders.
the ground is heavy clay.
the new thames river crossing is going up right beside us and pollution levels here are amongst the highest in the country.
the rat population is vast and uninhibited.
any takers? nah! didn't think so.
still, it's home to our veggies and we love it  ;D

muggs

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 08:51:09 »
There's lots of vacant plots on our site too :)

But you'd have to mad to take them, they are run by a local charity and cost £15 per annum, 30ft x 100ft, water included,  and 10ft high in brambles!!

We got one a month ago and its now totally cleared! Phew!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 10:04:58 »
D & T   You think the local authority might do something about the rat population! 

My lotty was home to the rats and rabbits so I set my lazy JRT on to them, and we borrowed another lotty holders' terrier too.  They dug out the rat holes and warrens and fortunately found no live ones.  Our lotty is now cleared of all rubbish which should prevent any return.  Fingers crossed  :)  I was too scared to get in there with my spade so having the dogs was a bonus. 

We have a pest control bloke near us working purely with dogs and ferrets as he won't use chemicals  :) 

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2005, 20:41:50 »
Tarmac driveways alongside your plot Roy?  That's better than most places I've lived  ;D

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2005, 22:23:25 »
;D Very old tarmac drives but nevertheless Tarmaced with no pot holes or speed bumps ;D

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2005, 10:53:15 »
Woe, I really need to get driving. I called up my local allotments (Chorlton, Manchester) the other day to be told there's a 5 year waiting list. I can't really see why, as I spoke to a local who was mumbling about them all being unused and overgrown.. Pah.

I think I'll just get rid of the front lawn instead. Plenty of space for courgettes then. :D

Melanie

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2005, 19:59:15 »
STOP PRESS, site is full, but you can always join the waiting list, not huge like most are!  ;D

Petra

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2005, 19:04:04 »
Did you find an allotment? I noticed that you had tried Chorlton, I live in Stretford and have just got one on the Urmston/Stretford border. There are still plots availabe so it may be worth trying Trafford Council rather than Manchester?

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2005, 19:09:40 »
Me? Nah, I gave up and decided to dig up the front lawn instead. That'll do until we can afford somewhere with a bit more space.

Thanks anyway, though!
Melanie

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2005, 20:31:53 »
I live in Bristol and have been on the waiting list  for nearly a year , when i first went on the list i was number 24 and when i rang him 2 weeks ago i was down to number 10 , there are now 33 peeps on the waiting list , i hard to believe that there are lovely lotties over the country that are not being snapped up , and we have such a long waiting list in Bristol , just wish some of them lotties where closer to me

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2005, 10:08:30 »
Most of the plots on our site are now taken, the only untended ones are by those who are not looking after them. I will raise this at the next AGM as we are now getting lots of people who are interested. This is near to the centre of Coventry. The facilities are limited but it is so peaceful.

Derekthefox :D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2005, 09:39:36 »
Dibs   The Allotment DVD was set in lotties in Bristol and surrounding area so maybe it was the popularity of that prog which prompted the long waiting list  :)  You want to go and have a look rather than take council's word for it.  There could be loads empty

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2005, 12:51:32 »
thanks Wardy , have look round some lotties and there are over grown plots but the council tells me it takes 8 months to evict them , was offered a plot but i did refuse it was not the fact that it was over grown , but there was a pillion right on the plot did not think that i would like to plant anything in the soil where the base of a pillion sat , hopefully i will be offered a plot soon  :) :)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2005, 13:01:58 »
It's such a load of rubbish that it takes 8 months to evict folks not using lotties.  The council is probably hoping to have all lotties empty then flog the site. If the plot is not being used there is no-one to evict!!  It's a simple matter of giving you the tenancy and taking your dosh which could take all of 5 minutes.  All plots are overgrown and I don't think many councils do clearing jobs. 

I'd find one which looked obviously not in use and take it and see how long it would take for someone from the council to notice.  It's worth seeing if there is a lotty committee as they would have more specific knowledge about a particular site and could be more helpful in getting you a plot quicker than the council

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2005, 13:16:31 »
wish it was that easy, the 2 lotties i am interrested in that are close to home both have metal fencing and look gates , so you can only look in throw the fence cant even get into them ,t hey both have landlords that run them , there are council lotties but you deal with the landlord and not the council , they have just spent £330.000 on one of the lottie so i don't think they will be sale that one lol , Mr bishop who is the landlord told me he was stepping up action with anybody who has not been to there lottie as much as he think they should , and advising new peeps to only take half a plot to get the waiting list down, he also told me that Oct was the beginning of the lottie year when peeps have to pay for there plot , he said this is when alot of peeps give them up i hope so at least 10 peeps lol thanks for the advice Wardy

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2005, 16:26:58 »
Best of luck Dibber, if you keep pestering, they may jump you up the queue just to shut you up!

Derekthefox :D

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2005, 18:12:12 »
have tried that Derek ring him about once every fortnight , think the bloke is sick of me wittering on lol

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal