Author Topic: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!  (Read 2653 times)

marestail murderer

• Half Acre
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
« on: August 20, 2005, 10:39:00 »
hi folks..............sorry........not posted in a while............as a newbie allotmenteer ive been very busy knocking the plot into shape.
coming along nicely but the !*&%"!£* are at it again.
got a phonecall yesterday.......a fellow plotholder informed me that half the panels in my emerging greenhouse have gone missing............5 polycarbonate sheets to be precice..........each one 2 metres high by a metre wide.........plus two barrows.............5 sheets of weed suppressing fabric......ands various other things.
to say im angry is putting it very very mildly!!!!!
i suppose ive done well realy..........not been hit by the thieving gits for 3 months or so..................and am now looking in all the back gardens i can see into to see if anyone has a new carport!
the sheets......if i ever get to see them again..........are identifiable....and ive got the exact size of each sheet noted as i had to make and rout the frames for them...................police informed............for what its worth.................but i came very close to throwing in the trowel...........so to speak.
calmed down now.....and realised just what it would mean if i packed it up.
theyd win..........a lot of hard work would have been for nothing...........and id miss the chat and wildlife if i did!
so..........................my rant is over.....................back to the drawing board to see if i can salvage whats left of the greenhouse!

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 13:10:31 »
:( Commiserations :( Pity you couldn't have glued them in then at least you would have the satisfaction, "even smashed" that they weren't getting any use out of them. >:(

Was all that gear yours or some off other plots? is your allotment not secure?

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 14:27:26 »
Oh dear, people are so sad that they have to theif other peoples stuff!
Understand you must be gutted, but hope you stick with the lottie. Perhaps you can get together with the other people there and think about new security measures.

TEL

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 14:42:33 »
Hi MM
Have a look around the local woods etc they are probably making a camp out of it.
Its a shame it had to happen at all.

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 20:48:33 »
Really sorry to hear that.  Makes you  >:(  -  keep at it though, or they really do win.

marestail murderer

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 08:01:04 »
thanks all............yes.........all the stuff was on my allotment,although one of the barrows was a fellow plotholders who had left it on mine after giving me a hand with rubbish removal.......so im a bit more gutted about that.ive offered to get him another.......but he says it was an old one anyway............not the point though!
security on the site is poor...........we are isolated and not overlooked by anyone realy...........(one of the reasons i took on the plot...........peaceful,and has a river running as one edge)...........council owned...and later this morning me and a group of fellow plotholders are going to the allotment officers office to see about getting some new security fencing..this has been promised for a while.........so methinks its time we kicked off a bit to try and hurry it along
had a good think......and come up with a new design to maximise the polycarb i have left...and make it so that the panels are all vented...............might not look so tempting if every panel has numerous holes in them........lol
we looked in nearby woods for signs of den making............and continue to do so.............as im more inclined that this is the reason..........with some battered old chairs going missing as well!
just hope the little angels can swim if i find em...............lol

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 21:38:17 »
Perhaps you could score your post code on the remaining sheets to id them ?  I hate it when stuff gets nicked, maeks you seeth.
Get with the beat Baggy

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 22:59:18 »
This is what keeps casual thieves out of my plot; unfortunately it's not enough to deter nutters. The bit of fence at this end is bent over at the top because the local kleptomaniac shoved several plastic barrels, wheelbarrows, etc. over it, and at one point it was demolished with wirecutters. At last, the hedge is growing to the point where that sort of thing will soon become impossible.

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 12:19:02 »
We've got an eight-foot security fence with key codes, but still kids get in during the summer holidays. Maybe you could find out the level of security that other allotments have (for the same rent) and take those examples to the council? That way they'd find it harder to fob you off? ???
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2005, 13:49:30 »
Re hedge - how about putting some nettles around and getting a quick growing thorny blackberries that produce yummy fruit!

Its a shame there are so many mindless people about.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2005, 15:52:32 »
A pyracantha hedge is dead thorny but very pretty to look at  :)

Sorry to hear folks have problems with thieves and vandals  :(
I came, I saw, I composted

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal