Author Topic: Vine growing  (Read 1489 times)

Xanadu

• Not So New ...
Vine growing
« on: March 30, 2004, 09:44:03 »
I need advice and pictures if possible to show me how to prune my grape vine. I have a seedless variety, last year to my dissappointment I didn't get any grapes. I'm sure it's to do with my prunning. I've looked at a couple of books but still don't get it. My grape vine is growing in the green house by the way. I've told the 0H that they should be grown outdoors, but he won't listen to me. TIA

daveandtara

• Acre
Re: Vine growing
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 14:03:58 »
i'm quite new to this myself but here is what i've been told by my greek and albanian neighbours (either side) and they each had vinyards at home.
roots must be outside because frosty weather/snow is what makes the fruit sweeten.
each year in winter prune back to three 'knuckles' from the previous years (woody) growth on each branch. (the knuckle being leaf joints)
in late autumn make sure that no dead leaves or shrivelled grapes remain on the vine or in the dirt below. mummified grapes give off a gas that grows a mould and this mould can kill the lpant, especially in a greenhouse.
ensure that the vine has sufficient airflow throughout the winter to deter mould also.
try not to break any woody stems if not in the dormant season as the plant can 'bleed' to death  :o
hope this helps,second hand advice tho it is,  ;D
Tara xx

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 22:21:53 »
Here's a piece I cut out from a site supplied by Tim earlier..."Indoor vines can be planted in the soil on the outside of a greenhouse and the trunk trained inside, via a hole in the wall. This method of cultivation is often chosen for vines that are grown in greenhouses with concrete floors. It is necessary to provide good ventilation for grapes kept under glass.. Increase the ventilation as fruits ripen, in order to reduce humidity." More info in the link below.
http://www.gonegardening.com/xq/ASP/group_id.20/article_id.323/referer./qx/gg_shop/article.htm

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005, 09:57:28 »
The Allotment DVD deals with grape growing on the allotment if that's any use.  Peeps all over the country are using lotties to grow grapes.  No greenhouse required  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal