Author Topic: Pruning Passiflora  (Read 2050 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Pruning Passiflora
« on: September 11, 2005, 12:27:12 »
I'm growing a Passiflora through my Forsythia.  It's a year old now and flowering profusely for the second time this summer.  The thing is that the flowering stems start at about 5 feet high and I'd really like some flowers lower down.  It's in a pot.  How far can I prune it back and when?

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
Re: Pruning Passiflora
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 09:32:40 »
Georgie
You can prune it back as far as you want!! its as tough as old boots!! but i dont think you'll ever get flowers low down! thats the nature of the beast!!
Kev
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 16:05:01 »
Thanks Kev, that's helpful.  Right now I'm training the stems to come down again - most of them are sprouting from about 9 feet high - so I guess that's my only hope.  Is it best to prune it anyway and if so, when?

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 21:54:02 »
We've done ours today, nothing fantastic but control is everything!! if you always control your plants you WILL get the benefits!! you are the boss!! if you dint want to apply what i say, then just try it on one section and see the results!! sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind!!
cheers Kev

this was ours today before pruning!! by the wife whose always ruthless!! LOL
P.S.  i hope she doesn't read this ! ;) ;) ;)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 07:59:18 by KevB »
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 22:16:35 »
Right oh, but I'm not doing it now.  Have loads of flowers, buds and fruits and I'm not letting those go to waste!

G xx

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal