Author Topic: Tool handles?  (Read 2073 times)

suzylou

• Half Acre
Tool handles?
« on: August 18, 2005, 09:45:38 »
Okay, this is a "girl" question, but here goes.

I bought an adze, and a handle from Machine Mart.  Arrived yesterday, handle doesn't fit in the hole in the adze head.

Am I to assume I'm meant to whittle the handle down until it fits in the hole snugly (and if so how, with my meagre selection of Women's Tools), or can I call them up and tell them they sent the wrong handle without getting laughed out of town??  :P

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
Re: Tool handles?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 10:38:49 »
Excuse me, just a quick test.

Glitch over  :-\

suzylou

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 10:50:25 »
Did I break the board??  :o

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 11:03:52 »
Being a girl, I would give it the OH to sort out - is a boy thing...  :)

I would ring them and tell them it doesn't fit, I cannot imagine you are meant to fashion your own handle to fit a tool!??

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 11:04:10 »
no.  Probably whittle away at the handle with your nail file if it's not miles too big  ;D  If miles out I'd phone them as it might be loose when you've finished whittling and you don't want that  :o
I came, I saw, I composted

undercarriage plan

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 11:12:49 »
I tend to play thick girlie part really well  :-\, if you play your cads right, may get replacement handle, and free tool to compensate for all those nails you broke trying to get it to fit..... ;) Lottie  ;D ;D ;D

suzylou

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 11:25:43 »
Well, Machine Mart are b***y useless.  Reassured by you lot I called them to complain, they had to look in the catalogue and decided that yes, that is the only handle they sell, and no, they don't understand why it doesn't fit, and yes, it is sold as being the handle for that adze head on their website.

Upshot is that they'll collect it from me on monday and refund me :P

The OH and nail file suggestions amused me though - OH is more useless than me, and my nails have been bitten into oblivion!! :>

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005, 12:23:12 »
:-\ Have you tried to put the handle end through the head so that the head slides down the shaft and is gripped by the end you say needs whittling? Same as they do for pic axes, it's a safety feature to stop the head shooting off the end ???

Just a thought B4 you return it. ;D

Edited to add this link that shows the Adze where the handle passes through the head and the oversized end protrudes, hope I'm making some sense ::) :P ;D

http://www.benmeadows.com/store/product_group.asp?dept_id=10431
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 12:38:38 by Roy Bham UK »

Ed^Chigliak

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2005, 12:59:20 »
From the picture on Machine Marts website it looks like the adze head is designed to do what Roy says. No picture of the handle so I can't say for sure. The head should slide all the way down the handle and wedge at the bottom.

suzylou

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2005, 13:20:57 »
I did think of that ;)  Neither end of the handle fits through the hole...but thanks for the idea!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2005, 00:01:46 »
If neither end goes through the hole, I should take the handle back. If you're talking about a digging hoe (I use the term adze for a carpenter's tool which is quite different), then it's intended to be a loose fit on the handle. You slide it down the length of the handle from the narrow end, and it rests against the wide bit at the far end. If it won't do this, you have the wrong handle, though the hole in mine is so big it's hard to imagine a handle it won't slide over.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2005, 10:39:28 »
Suze   Have a look at the Chillington hoe threads as this might be what you need.  I've put where to get one from on the internet etc  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

suzylou

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2005, 17:33:28 »
Thanks Wardy.  I think it IS the same thing as a Chillington Hoe.

Actually, I'm not too disappointed as I've been making great progress with a combination of mattock and fork.  I'm sort of relieved that I don't have to spend that £35 after all and can put it into the shed fund :>

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2005, 18:26:19 »
Back to UP's remark earlier - would just love to see her playing her cads right. No wonder she gets results??

undercarriage plan

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2005, 18:33:11 »
   ;D ;D;D ;) Lottie

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal