Author Topic: walnuts  (Read 2147 times)

ipt8

• Hectare
walnuts
« on: August 17, 2005, 13:36:22 »
I am battling with squirrels over walnuts on a tree. I have a plan for the tree which has meant pruning some branches.

From the branches I have removed about two bucketfulls of walnuts. These walnuts have developed nuts inside.

My question is what is the best way to deal with the walnuts I have collected?

???

:'(

RosieM

• Quarter Acre
Re: walnuts
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 14:01:13 »
hi,

Are the shells hard or soft inside the green casing?

Rosie

ps - wear gloves as they stain black

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 19:49:27 »
The shells beneath the hard casing are hard and they contain nuts, all-be-it in the unripe stage.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 23:25:05 »
Unripe walnuts are called green walnuts and are edible but apparently sour.  Great used in cooking though so I am told and considered quite special by some.

ps.  googled and found this list of tempting walnut recipes

http://recipes.epicurean.com/asc_results.jsp?title=Walnut

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 05:02:57 »
You can only pickle walnuts when the shells are soft - you need to pick them in about June, so make a note on your calendar for next year. You prick them a couple of times, cover in a thick layer of salt for 3 days, wash off salt quickly, cover with hot spiced vinegar & put in jars with seals or waxed paper between lid & jar, ready to eat in 3 to 4 months. Dead easy and so much cheaper than buying pickled walnuts - in the shops they are £2 or £3 for a small jar!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 05:06:15 by jennym »

David R

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 12:14:06 »
eat the squirrels.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 12:26:38 »
Bob Flowerdew said something about this on GQT the other week. If I remember rightly, you pick them after the green stage but before they are fully ripe to beat the squirrels (but not beat the squirrels with, a branch would be better for that!) THen leave them somewhere (can't remember where he said) to ripen. (darn - the bbc has only archived up to 2004!)
gone to pot :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal