Author Topic: Selfheal.  (Read 3116 times)

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Selfheal.
« on: August 11, 2005, 21:40:27 »
I have noticed that this pernicious weed in lawns has increased in severity over the last few years.
I have had to resource to 'glyphosate' applied carefully as a 'spot-weed' in order to stop the  advance. The bare patches will infill I'm sure.
I sat on my backside on one lawn for 3 hours and hand-picked it out 3 yrs. ago. The lawn is now 85% Selfheal. The soil quality on this lawn was extremely poor I have to admit. A hint?
Comments gratefully received.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
Re: Selfheal.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 17:19:54 »
Don't use glyphosate on lawns, use Verdone.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 21:09:48 »
Simon404. Have you used Vernone? Is it successful?. I actually bought some today and have managed to treat half of my lawn tonight. Only smallish lawn but it was getting dark so had to pack up.How long before you see any results?? Lorna.

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 21:47:31 »
Verdone 2 is effective;  I saw dead or dying weeds within a week. But you need to be sure the grass is kept from drying out, or growth seems to be stunted.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 23:30:48 »
Rosa_Mundi. The one I bought is Verdone Extra so hopefully it will be a success.(made me think mg my old Mum her name was Rosa ) Thanks for your reply. Lorna.

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 11:27:57 »
Verdone is indeed effective, as are other products containing 2,4-D and/or mecoprop, wilkos and B@Q both do a "lawn spot weedkiller". In my experience all these sprays are are more effective than feed and weed type granular products. With these, unless you apply them at exactly the right dose in perfect conditions then they are either ineffective or you end up with large dead patches. In my opinion the granular types are also worse for wildlife such as birds because they can persist on the surface for several weeks whereas the sprays are safe as soon as they have dried out. 

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005, 14:29:06 »
Simon. Thanks for your reply. I finished treating the lawn this morning then at 1.30pm  it started raining. Do you think this will undo any good ? In the past I have spent quite a lot of money on those granule type products (in a green can) and I was very dissapointed. Lorna,

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2005, 19:40:57 »
Hi Lorna  :) I think so long as the spray had time to dry on the weeds then it should be effective. You should see results within a few days - only time will tell!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2005, 20:51:16 »
Thanks Simon fingers crossed :)

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2005, 21:22:08 »
Hi All,

Verdone or (now) Verdone extra does not deal with Selfheal.

Back to you.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2005, 14:32:47 »
I bought a cultivated relative of this for the borders a few years ago, in all innocence. I then let it flower and set seed, again in all innocence. Now its popping up all over the place!

Fortunately it hasnt got into the lawns yet and in the borders it is tollerable. I guess its still the ofspring of the cultivated plant and not the wild 'weed' type, which might explain the less extensive spread.

Even iff it doesn invade the lawn It wont be a problem, as i am not lawn proud and tollerate most lawn 'weeds'.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2005, 21:24:30 »
Jolly good, I have that in my lawns, and now the borders.  Now I know it is a weed, I will continue to oik it out!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal