Author Topic: How sad... (kind of off topic)  (Read 4615 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re: How sad... (kind of off topic)
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2005, 13:02:31 »
Rosie - It still astounds me that people can't eat that big golden M food. I walked past one of the places yesterday and felt my stomach heave.

oops - must learn to type. meant "that people can eat that..."

sorry McD fans!
gone to pot :D

vaca

• Half Acre
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2005, 14:24:42 »
...and so do I endulge in McDonnalds a couple times a year, I know it's engineered food and not good for you but so are many other things. And  they've somehow made it taste rather good in a chemical sort of way - they wouldn't be so succesfull otherwise. My point is that the lady eating her sandwich probably did so out of habit, eating generally the same type of bland manufactured food at every lunchtime. The sad part of it to me was that she didn't get the urge to experiment something new and probably tastier and fresher - even if just to break with her routine.

vaca

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2005, 14:30:16 »
I like the happy meals with the daft toys  ;D but like most on here I probably don't go near the place more than once a year. The sad thing about the woman Vaca mentioned is that she probably buys the same thing every day because she knows what she's getting. For a country with such a wide variety of international cuisines available we can be very conservative when it comes to trying new food; I know I've been known to buy a nasty cheese and onion sandwich from WHSmiths because I know that it won't challenge me  :-[
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2005, 19:19:51 »
On  the subject of grow and eat your own, has anyone noticed that they're eating more?!  I've been underweight for years (no joke health wise I can tell you  :( ) but since starting to eat organic and to put our own veg on the table (a couple of months ago for the latter) I seem to be finally putting on some weight.  All the wrong places of course, and OH says it's middle age spread  ;D but that's not really the point - I feel like I'm eating more healthily, and therefore - more.   Anyone else found the same?  (Plus, any good tips for trimming waistlines? ;D)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2005, 19:38:36 »
 ;D ;D ;D
O NO!!!!!!!!
Dont tell me that this time next year I will be even fatter!!

Was hoping that all this excercise and all the lovely organic veg would help me get in shape!!

Ahhh well.......

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2005, 20:08:34 »
Yes, but how much exercise is it really?! Get in car, get to site, pick peas, eat some, pick peas, eat some  - move on to fruit, pick some, eat some, pick some, eat some ....  ;D   Then get home (via car) and make  huge dinner with all your pickings, and especially dessert!!
Of course, I could cut out the car ......

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2005, 20:23:16 »
I've got fatter anorl  :o   I thought I would have lost weight but allotmenteering  has given me a raging appetite plus the lagers we get through too as we're sooooo thirsty  ;D

I've told my OH not to buy lager.  Just opened fridge to get the tea and he's restocked the fridge  >:(

I'll put it in the slug traps  ;D

Me too with the Little Gem lettuces.  Really successful and so delish  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2005, 20:28:00 »
I'm dead healthy.  Now I've found somewhere to hide my tools I go on my bike - and I take two bottles of water with me - Saint RedClanger  :)

But I do have a couple of ciggies when I am there - would probably have four or five at home though, and I do like a beer when I get back home.

With regards to diet - with the way the finances have gone this summer, I do not know we would have eaten if we had not got the lottie earlier this year.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2005, 23:17:19 »
I find portions are more generous with home grown.  Before plot, shopping has always been on a very tight budget so purchases had to stretch, now I can pick a fresh lettuce everytime I fancy a cheese and lettuce sanger, and a roast dinner can have a choice of 7 or more veggies!  Puddings are the downer, have made lots of home made icecream this year and it is sooooooooooooooooo delish.  Plus all the crumbles earlier in the year from the bubby, and now the apples and plums are here, so more crumbles, pies and cobblers!  Freezer is stacked already, jam pantry is full and am almost out of jars.  Am now thinking of taking up wine making and getting the equipment over the winter to start next year.....more calories!

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2005, 00:39:12 »
Don't worry EJ - the more wine you drink the less accurate the calorie count!
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2005, 17:02:39 »
My get thin campaign has suffered another setback  :( Someone has given me a box of plums so I'll just have to make another crumble  ;D

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2005, 08:00:37 »
I wish you hadn't said that... of course I had realised I have been putting on a bit of weight for all the reasons mentioned but I was in denial  ;)

The veggies are so plentiful and delicious of course that the Governor and I never have less than five different vegetables for dinner.. plus all the diets say that you can eat as much vegetable as you like.

Yeah well....

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2005, 10:11:17 »
Eat as many veg as you like but try leaving off the butter, salt, black pepper, mayonnaise, cream.................  ;D

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2005, 19:49:27 »
 :(
Eeeeek..whats wrong with black pepper?????
 ???

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2005, 20:35:02 »
Know what you mean about the roast dinners EJ  ;D  Have just put away roast beef and yorkshire pudding, plus potatoes, parsnips, beans, asparagus and fennel.  We did think about adding peas and sweet corn but decided enough was enough! 

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2005, 22:28:57 »
We had chicken ellkebe, with roast tats, chard (stem and leaf served as two seperate veggies - daughter only likes the stems!), carrots, yellow french beans.  Was going to do apple crumble for dessert, but ended up helping my darling clear out the shed so ran out of time!

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2005, 19:56:03 »
Thank goodness it's only once a week (- especially as we do have dessert!)  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal