Author Topic: Spring bulbs  (Read 2479 times)

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
Spring bulbs
« on: August 16, 2005, 11:37:09 »
I'd like to plant some bulbs under the apple tree that hangs over from next door's allotment, perhaps bluebells or something else that will do ok in shade. Should I be buying bulbs now? What would work best? Which is the best catalogue for bulbs? Sorry, am only a one-week veteran of an allotment and still need quite a lot of advice :-[
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

undercarriage plan

Re: Spring bulbs
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 12:06:47 »
What about cyclamen? They look gorgeous en mass, esp with anenomes.  Crocus, snowdrops (though buy in the green)!! I buy mine from local garden centre cos have small areas, not sure for large quantities.  Have fun.  ;D Lottie
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 17:52:00 by undercarriage plan »

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 12:17:55 »
Blue bells are perfect for under trees - that's where tehy grow naturally. But do make sure you get proper English Bluebells not Spanish ones (these are hybridising with and pushing out the native ones).

Any spring bulb will work well under a tree - they usually flower before the tree canopy is thick enough to cut out light. whatever's your favourite really.
gone to pot :D

Deeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 23:49:56 »
Autumn flowering cyclamen and crocus and Anemone nemorosa hybrids mixed with snpwdrops would be my choice.

I do have to tell you though Undercarriage Plan, that the  thinking on Snowdrops and Bluebells now is that they do far better if planted now, as long as you can get good quality fresh bulbs, the ones in the packets in garden centres and supermarkets and the like are a real waste of money.

This comes from a couple of bulb expert friends of mine (one a national collection holder), and I can vouch it works far better than planting 'in the green' which I have always had my doubts about.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 01:25:52 »
Planting 'in the green' just sets them back for the following year. Had you thought of winter acomite?

undercarriage plan

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 09:08:55 »
Well, I was brought up to shut doors, not to slam them....No, I couldn't keep a hedgehog in my bedroom  :-\ and always to respect the opinion of others.  So while I have the utmost respects for your points of view, I'll keep planting them in the green as I found it far more succesfull, but that's just my experience in my own little garden. Lottie  ;D

Marley Farley

• Acre
  • May all your plants grow well!!
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 09:42:47 »
 ;D  With you all the way Lottie... ;D ;D ;D ;D
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself".

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 15:05:36 »
Cyclamen, just perfect. I haven't been able to get snowdrops to grow from bulb in my garden so have to plant then in the green. If you do go for bluebells, try and get the English ones, they are under threat from the Spanish bluebells. I expect you already know that though. Crocus always seem so colourful in the spring, even tiny daffs, can't remember the name of the short ones.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 22:23:19 »
I've planted them both in the green and as dry bulbs, and the bulbs have alway done well the following year, while the ones planted in the green took a year to catch up. The key is to get bulbs which haven't been out of the ground for any length of time as they don't like drying out.

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2005, 08:14:06 »
Yes, trouble is when you buy them they all seem the same and I'm sure the shops don't get them in fresh.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Marley Farley

• Acre
  • May all your plants grow well!!
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2005, 08:28:34 »
:)  Hi all,
I can't say I have found them slower when planted in the green.
One thing I do now though, is I always buy from a reputable supplier or from Garden centres to get a quality bulb. The ones sold in the supermarkets are of a lower standard & smaller size on the whole & as you say the selection is not good. OK for a cheap & cheerful quick fix, but that's about it I think.  ;)
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself".

undercarriage plan

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2005, 09:12:22 »
Chatting to my ol'boy about this yesterday, he's 92 and been a member of RHS and into gardening for 75 years. He's of the opinion that there's not alot in it, that it depends on individual soils/sites, then proceeded to give me 10ft long list of jobs..... :-\  Mind you, he also advocates planting Rhodies and Aeleas on top a dead rabbit,.......they're beautiful plants though!!!!! Lottie ;D

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2005, 21:59:04 »
I take it he doesn't like rabbits?  ;D

I agree that supermarket bulbs can be dry and sad - and a completely different colour to what's on the pack!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2005, 22:02:55 »
Has a bag of dead ones at planting time..... not looking forward to my first year of helping him.. gulp!! Lottie  ;D

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2005, 22:15:49 »
think the ol'boy's right L~the rotting carcass will attract biological organisms which help to keep the soil crumbly & aerated,so the plant's roots can tuck into a delicious blood & bone meal ;D ;D
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal