Author Topic: Decorations  (Read 5728 times)

jethro

Re: Decorations
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2003, 14:37:43 »
Well the trees up and decorated, the house has everything it needs for crimbo, all the cards have been sent, the pigs are fed and ready to fly.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2003, 20:55:30 »
We are like Doris P, we love Christmas in our house, and still do all the things we did when the children were small.  Believe it or not, my son and daughter in their middle twenties still insist on laying out a tray for Father Christmas on Christmas Eve - Christmas Cake and Sherry - we each have a pillow case to hang up and our own location in the sitting room to put it.  I feel a bit embarrassed to say, but even the dog and the two cats have little socks that go up on the chimney breast.  They are opened on Christmas Morning, after some toast and a glass of bucks fizz.

After Christmas lunch we open presents from relatives and the ones the children have brought us.  Then it is a glass of something and tuck into the chocolates, watch the Queens speech and either doze or play a game of some sort.  

We have a few lights outside and a little fir tree lit up, but we don't go overboard like some we have seen.  We do have a door mat which says "Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas", which you either love or hate.  We have decorations also up in the Hall, Sitting Room and Dining Room, where the Christmas Tree is.  I always feel a bit sad when I take them down on the 6th Jan.   :D  busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2003, 21:11:01 »
That was interesting,BUT I never said that I did not enjoy Christmas, I do. It is the one day in the year when I get to eat  and drink all those things that absolutely cripple me. I love having the family visit (just once a year is plenty enough)
In a way Christmas was spoiled for me by nearly 30 years of Primary School teaching. Do you know how many Nativity Plays, Pantomimes, Parties and Dances I have organised? Decorations? Just think of the miles of crepe paper I have turned into decorations for gruesome little darlings to throw away in the street on their way home.
I like Boxing Day. The door is open to nobody. We sit quietly, do the new jigsaw and feel content (and well hung over, full of wind and with a splitting head ache,  well I do anyway)
I  really am looking forward to it.
Gardening is the great leveller.

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2003, 21:35:46 »
no tree this year because we are not here over christmas and i can't be bothered with the constant battle with the cats between now and then!will try and find a way of putting up my fairy lights though.

we love christmas, mainly for the food and drink, we spend over 3 days preparing the meal and splash out on nice wine. neither of us have had family christmasses for years as we have both been working in jobs that involve working christmas day or at least christmas eve and boxing day and our families live too far away for a late night dash (lincolnshire and dorset)

my mum and sister came last year but it was a bit of a hassle to be honest as we were getting married 3 weeks later and were dead busy!

as i've said before we're spending this christmas in turkey with mum and dad and lots of expats so its completely different, should be good though! apparently my dad went to the local christmas party last night dressed as a fairy - that i would have loved to have seen!! ;D

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2003, 22:33:57 »
umm, well, I often have had to work on Xmas day (not this year tho') so we have a solstice meal instead. In truth, I mainly like to eat lots and enjoy glittery fairy lights and baubles. All my children were born within 5 weeks of Xmas so we never bothered that much with presents because birthdays were always the most special time for our children.
In truth, I also feel that the terrific expectations around the whole Xmas thing are highly stressful (I have spent far too long working with homeless bods who are so locked out of what passes for a 'normal' Xmas).  I guess that I am looking forward to opting out of Xmas as soon as youngest child is off (although these days, they NEVER leave!) but if it is an occasion for celebration, who am I to moan at anyone else's indulgences. I kinda like the lurid displays of lights even though it is not very ecological.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal