Author Topic: Barn Owl  (Read 1526 times)

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Barn Owl
« on: August 17, 2005, 21:04:34 »
Saw this beauty at Alnwick Castle Gardens.  They are lovely birds and glad their

I saw this lovely bird at Alnwick Gardens this afternoon.  Isnt she lovely.  I took other pics of the birds but managed to chop their heads off.

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
Re: Barn Owl
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 22:17:36 »
What a lovely picture Carol.  ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 22:36:54 »
I used to go birdwatching on Goss Moor in Cornwall, and there was a ruined hut where a pair of them roosted regularly. One winter I was walking across there after we'd had several inches of snow overnight, and there was one of them out hunting. It was probably starving as they can't catch their prey when everything's covered in snow. It spotted me coming and flew off with its head turned round 180 degrees, so it was looking straight back over its back.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 08:49:35 »
I bet that mind the hair on the back of your neck stand up Robert.  They are truly most beautiful, statuesque creatures  :)

We had them where I live until the Coal Board filled in a tunnel and a railway embankment which was their habitat; together with bats, yellowhammers and redstarts

Nothing after that.  They call it progress  :(
I came, I saw, I composted

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 14:24:25 »
They knocked down an old powerstation near us.  I think D and I were the only ones who were sorry to see it go.  It was a bit of an eyesore but was home to thousands of bats and also Owls.  Since it was knocked down I rarely see a bat or hear an owl.  It used to be fantastic walking the dog on a warm evening - there was bats everywhere.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal