Author Topic: Bat in the Kitchen  (Read 2237 times)

Gadfium

• Acre
Bat in the Kitchen
« on: August 16, 2005, 12:39:35 »
Came down yesterday to spot a bat hanging upside-down from the wallpaper border.

Thought 'hmmm', okay, leave you 'til it's dusk, and put you back outside'. Later in day, came in to wash mucky hands, and nearly slathered it in fairy liquid.

Removed bat from sink, placed into large bucket with cliff-top posing tea towels, and situated imposing edifice in dark corner.

Bat calmed down, and went to sleep. I washed hands.

Come evening, took the tea towels, complete with hanging bat, outside... it gave one 'click' of the radar... and batted off to its fellows.

One happy pipistrelle.

The only question being: did the cat bring it in, or did it fly in through an open window?

undercarriage plan

Re: Bat in the Kitchen
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 12:48:29 »
Wow!! Love bats, watching them skimming about, lovely!! Never heard of one roosting in the kitchen though.... sounds like a very cool bat 8)! No idea how it got in though.  Lottie ;D

Bambi.1

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 13:37:58 »
I love bats too,shame you didn't get a good piccy.We have them flying around at dusk,but l would have loved to see one close up.

Good job you're not afraid of Bats Gadfium  :D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 22:58:34 »
My sister was asleep in bed and she kept scratching her leg as it was itching.  But it got worse and she switched on the lamp and pulled back the bed clothes and she HAD A BAT UP HER NIGHTDRESS  :o :o :o  She nearly had a heart attack   ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 23:55:29 »
Hmm Wardy, got to say that it sounds like the title of a dodgy movie....

A Bat Up Her Nightdress....Scary Bedtime Tales!!

;D ;D ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 10:00:15 »
Basil Fawlty  threatened Sybil with a bat up her nightdress  ;D

No, I'm serious.  She did get a bat in her bed with her.  Honest injun  :)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 10:07:03 »
"Bat up her nightdress" Shriek!!!  :o We once left our utilitiy room door open after dark and a bat came into it.  It hung upside down for a while and we kept going in to have a look.  The children were fascinated and then it just went on it's way, flying out into the night.  We felt incredibly lucky to have been able to see it close up.   :)   busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 11:36:24 »
We were trying to see if we could spot what kind of bats we have at home.  They seem too big to be Pipistrelles but don't have a clue what they could be.  I've never seen one at close quarters but I'd like to  :)

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 16:26:05 »
Glad it was not me, they terrify me! I hate anything that flies. Have conditioned myself into being able to tolerate bees or else I would spend the whole time in the garden running about screaming (we had a bees nest in our shed this summer).

We have bats in the garden at dusk and I daren't go out there on my own! Such a wimp. Would rather scuba dive with sharks than be locked in a room with a daddy longlegs!

dotCompost

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005, 22:23:52 »
daisymay, remember those bees might actually be hoverflys - no harm to you at all. Yeah we get the dusk bats too, and sometimes a flying stag beetle. Now they are as big as a helicopter, so they would really scare the ants of you :D :D :D

Sketty

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2005, 11:59:17 »
I've actually caught bats whilst flyfishing for seatrout at night :o

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2005, 12:01:07 »
Had another bat in the house last night. Wafting up and down the corridor...

Where are they coming from?  I know we've got a roost under the eaves, but it's been there for years and years, and we've never had the pleasure of sharing living space before.

Anyway, opened the windows, stood back... and all the moths poured in.

Went in search of bat... nowhere to be seen... eventually retrieved said wayward one from a paper bag full of old seed packets (how, I ask you, can a bat fly into an almost closed paper bag?).

Bat flew off, outside, into literal moth heaven.

I'm left wondering whether it's one of those phenomenal coincidences, windows left ajar too wide, or if the Great Under-Eaves Loft Escape Tunnel has been completed into the house, and has opened for those of an adventurous bent...

Bambi.1

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2005, 13:09:12 »

Can you get a piccy,l would love to see one  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal