Author Topic: VJ Day  (Read 3776 times)

undercarriage plan

VJ Day
« on: August 15, 2005, 13:48:44 »
I went to Blenheim Palace yesterday for VJ Day. I was really excited, and not in the slightest bit disappointed.  The gardens were breathtaking, the Air Show out of this world. There were spitfires, Mustangs, the Catolina, Lancaster, Red Arrows .....it took my breath away.  But looking around at  the people there who had been so very brave, for the first time in my life, I was awe struck by their bravery and strength.  So to all you out there who were involved in any way, thank you. Lottie
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 14:05:54 by undercarriage plan »

undercarriage plan

Re: VJ Day
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 14:09:04 »
It was amazing, Wardy. To think what those people went through. There was a real feeling of awe there, and I'm so glad I went. I don't think most people, me included, have a clue as to the hardships they went through.  Lottie

undercarriage plan

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 17:01:34 »
Soundest like some had the happiest of times and some the saddest. My family were farmers, so no one I knew had any direct combat experience as such. My mum remembers the evacuees arriving at the farm, but she was only 4!! One of the zeplins crashed at Debach airfield wich is just up the road, but my knowledge is pretty shameful. Just got talking to my neighbour about it all, he was stationed in Burma, but doesn't want to talk about it, which is understandable. Lottie

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 17:19:09 »
Lottie, I was at Blenheim too, and like you found it all quite moving.  Especially the people who must have expereinced the war and were dressed up for the day.  The costumes some people had on were amazing.  My son was upset about the 'gunfire' when the flying fortress was flying.  I thought the statistics about how many airmen had died just in that one type of plane was staggering.  It is hard now to comprehend the huge loss of life that occured in wars then compared to the few now, life was so different.

My Dad went to Nagasaki on the first naval ship in just after the bomb had been dropped.  He had photos which he always kept hidden and my Mum passed them on to someone he knew who was writing a book about it when he died.  I never saw them as he took great care to make sure I couldn't so can only guess at the horror of them.  His GP had been a Japanese prisoner of war and they used to 'counsel' each other if either was thinking too much about things.  They are both gone a long time now but it has been so much in the news I have been thinking a lot about them.  Dad had run away to sea at 14 and lied about his age to join the navy.  When they found out they sent him to naval school until he was old enough to enlist properly.

My Mum lived on the Isle of Wight and experienced the doodlebugs and the fear they bought when the engines stopped.  To this day she still ducks down if a fighter plane flies low over her house, it is quite sad to see what effect it has on her and I suppose for so many other people.

I am glad you had a good time Lottie, it was a lovely and moving day out.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 17:36:22 »
Thanks Tulippa. More of an awesome day I think, shame we didn't meet! Your Dad sounds like he must have been to hell and back.  I imagine that when you experience something that horrific, the only way to carry on with everyday life is to put it in a box and try and keep the lid on. Thanks for sharing.  Lottie

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 17:53:59 »
Yes, lovely wasn't quite the right word was it, awesome sounds much better.

Sometimes I think we could all do with A4all badges or some discreet way of showing we are members.  Just think, we may have been stood next to each other watching the planes at some point!

We saw the plane in your photo just inside the gates but we are not in your photo so not at the same time - that would have been a coincidence wouldn't it!

My grandmother was married to an ace spitfire pilot for a short time as he sadly had lung cancer and died, but he was the most wonderful man and I really wish he could have lived longer so I had known him better.  He had some wonderful stories of flying during the war and must have lost so many comrades.  Seeing the spitfires yesterday reminded me of him too.  He was full of fun but like you say must have had some memories locked in a box.  An amazing man.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005, 19:22:25 »
Ooooo Tulippa!! Love the badge idea!! Wear it if feeling sociable, and not if feeling in grrrrr mood! My OH is fascinated by spitfires, and his jaw dropped when they dove across the sky.  A remarkable day wasn't it.  Lottie

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2005, 22:25:44 »
If your OH loves spitfires he may be interested in a display at the Science Museum which opened today, all about Spitfires, I heard about it on the news tonight.  Found this link:

http://www.24hourmuseum.org.uk/nwh_gfx_en/ART29641.html

We are lucky as a local airfield seems to be a centre for spitfire enthusiasts and we sometimes have a few flying together over us.  They just have an unmistakable sound.  OH and my boys always rush out to see them.  We had seen the Red Arrows fly over our house on Saturday morning and were amazed but yesterday the chap doing the commentary said they were based at RAF Odiham for the weekend which explains it.  I loved the Lancaster yesterday, the sound of it is strangely stirring.  Better stop as I am not talking gardening!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 08:49:53 »
He's green with envy!!! He makes model planes but not quite the same.......  :-\ We've just booked microlight lessons together!! Both decided to try and get liscences....must be mad but can't wait!!! Anyway, we're in the shed!! Allowed not to talk about gardening!! Lottie  ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2005, 11:15:39 »
I should keep out of this, but at that time, a few miles away, I was being filmed for a documentary on the RAF in Russia.

With that, & all the attention one gets about the BofB, I feel very humble when thinking about what people suffered in other theatres, or types of duty in WWII AND I.

We had months of it. In so many cases, they had years.

Mostly, we slept between clean sheets every night. They didn't.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 15:21:34 by tim »

undercarriage plan

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2005, 11:50:31 »
You were involved in such a pivotal part of it all though, Tim. All of you, I admit to just beginning to learn more about it, but I am still in awe of the bravery you all showed. Perhaps I'm being harsh, but I doubt it would be the same now, what with Health & Safety, risk assessment could be a bit of a problem....... :-\ Lottie

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2005, 10:45:06 »
Glad to hear you had a great time Lottie. I still can't believe I live so close and didn't go.

I did see one of the planes as I drove back from Oxford in the afternoon  :D

Saw them setting it all up when Mr M and I went for our walk round the lake last Thursday, and taking it all down when we walked on Monday. Still a lone tank by the  bridge too  ???
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2005, 14:44:15 »
It was an amazing day, Moggle. They're talking about doing something similar next year, so you may get the chance. Lottie  ;D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2005, 20:14:19 »
Lottie, what a wonderful day it sounds like you had. As Tim knows, I have done my 'bit', and also worn the green, CFN BOWERS 24916236. Like so many others, including my father on the first boat across on the D Day landings as a covert vessel, my heart is better suited to lie with those who prefer to remain silent. With straight back and square shoulders, I salute you Tim, and also thank you Lottie for raising this topic.

Derekthefox

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2005, 23:35:59 »
Undercarriage plan - nice piccy of the Lancaster!

It flew over my house a few years ago en route to a show and I nearly flattened the cat in my attempt to grab a camera in time. Successfully, though pic is much worse than yours!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

undercarriage plan

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2005, 09:21:58 »
Thanks Moonbells, though more through luck than judgement!! Oh was going "It won't come out, it won't come out......really, don't bother"   ;D ;D ;D Just pointed camera and hit button!!Got this one too but not that great. Lottie

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2005, 16:20:04 »
Looks very much like a DH 86 - lovely to fly!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2005, 16:38:48 »
They looked wonderful and so graceful, Tim. Lottie

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2005, 12:22:23 »
How the HELL do you try to cook lunch when you can't see the oven for the tears??

What a wonderful ceremony today - I may have missed others, but this summed it up for ever.

To my mind, War is War - Inhumanity is a totally different thing. = Tim

undercarriage plan

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2005, 12:56:52 »
I listened to it on the radio, Tim, must have been very different to have actually been involved.  Also agree on huge difference between war and inhumanity. You really should have had sandwiches...Lottie :-\

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal