Author Topic: The Blessed Saint Bob on GQT  (Read 5038 times)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
The Blessed Saint Bob on GQT
« on: August 15, 2005, 10:47:29 »
 :( :(
Bob Flowerdew said on GQT yesterday that it is CRITICAL to get Japanese onions in this very week.

Eeeeeeeeek....have not bought them yet ??? ??? ???

Is it all over for me if I cant do it til next week? I live in the North West and we are usually a bit behind everyone else!!

Help????

Mubgrub

• Half Acre
Re: The Blessed Saint Bob on GQT
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 10:54:07 »
I think japanese onions have crucial planting times but non japanese autumn onins sets are a bit more flexible?  Someone else will know for sure.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 11:07:30 »
They haven't even got them in our lotty shed yet!  I'm sure I didn't get mine in til November last year and I had a fabulous crop.  People came from far and wide to admire my hunions  ;D  They were the first thing I planted so was a bit nervous of the old boys coming  to scrutinise me (which they do - often).  I passed with flying colours as one of them said they were the finest he'd seen so far.  Praise indeed.  I floated home  ;D

I have finished pulling them up now and we used most of them for our burger stall and then loads left so ate some at a mass barby on Saturday

I still have about 20 left.  They're delicious.  I wouldn't worry though as I bet loads of folks haven't got them in yet.  :)  Sorry to have missed Bob!
I came, I saw, I composted

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 11:50:07 »
We put ours in, in November last year, and they were fantastic this year, the best year ever. So that seems rather early to me, but perhaps different varieties require different times.   :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 15:39:54 »
 ::)  Phew!!

Thanks folks!! Am now breathing calmly, note to self....
dont take too much notice of times quoted by superstars!!

;D ;D ;D

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 19:13:18 »
I've only just ordered my onion sets, and been told they won't be delivered until September anyway.  Are Japanese onions different? 

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005, 19:17:48 »
*blushes*
Not sure what the differences are!! Just know that these are the ones I am supposed to grow over winter. Someone will know and help us out, I am sure!!

Someone? Anyone?

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2005, 22:01:19 »
I expect he said to get them in as they take a long time to grow but I wouldn't worry.  If you have the packaging there will be instructions about what to do.  I got mine loose from the lotty shed and had no idea what to do with mine so planted them about a foot apart each way so I'd be able to weed amongst them and grow catch crops in between too.  The lotty shop stocks are not in yet and I don't think they've even started taking orders (although knowing our lot they probably can't be ars**d  ;D

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2005, 22:47:46 »
 :)

You see? Thats why I love this site...comforting sensible advice just when you need it!!

Off for the next few days so I can clear more space and get soil ready, and no longer feel under so much pressure!!

Thanks Wardy...raises glass of shiraz!! ;D ;D ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2005, 23:09:07 »
I plant mine about November most years,and still get a goodcrop. Whenever I plant them, they still do most of their growing the folowing summer.

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2005, 14:54:47 »
what time is Gardeners Question Time on? I am rapidly approaching 30, so my radio now has the ability to be retuned to radio 4!  ;D
(it is on radio 4 isn't it?)

I am often out and about during the day for work, so could plan appointments to be able to listen to it.  ;D ;D

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2005, 15:10:16 »
Sunday at 2.00pm, repeated Wednesday at 3.00pm.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2005, 17:40:58 »
 ;D ;D

Dont beat yourself up Daisy.....I have recently converted a 26 year old friend to Radio 4, and she still has her street cred!!

8) 8) 8)

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2005, 19:52:43 »
MmMmm, I ordered 150 Senshyu onion sets from Kings earlier today and the lady I spoke to said they had only just come in yesterday. Not knowing too much as this is my 1st year, I will just hope for the best!!!

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2005, 21:07:10 »
;D ;D

Dont beat yourself up Daisy.....I have recently converted a 26 year old friend to Radio 4, and she still has her street cred!!

8) 8) 8)

Thanks Katie! Feel better about it now, I am still 16 at heart , just without the attitude!   ;D ;D I never had any street cred anyway!

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2005, 00:27:18 »
I should like to advise you youngsters that there's nothing wrong with listening to Radio 4 - I've been a listener since I was 7 years old (it used to be called the Home Service then).
 ;D
Also if you get a chance, as well as listening to GQT, try Woman's Hour (No, it's not all jam making and lace doilies) ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2005, 09:36:05 »
I can remember listening to the Home Service  :)  I used to love the serious sounding announcer  :)  Mum used to listen to Womans' Hour.  My husband likes R4 but I usually have Radio 2 on during the day

Mothy    You'll do great things with your onion sets I'm sure of it.  My first time last year too and they did great

My lotty neighbour gave me some onions he's grown from seed and I put a row in yesterday. I can't find them in any of my catalogues  ???  He's a champ grower so they should be good ones  :)

dirtyfingernails

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2005, 10:03:40 »
I should like to advise you youngsters that there's nothing wrong with listening to Radio 4 - I've been a listener since I was 7 years old (it used to be called the Home Service then).
 ;D
Also if you get a chance, as well as listening to GQT, try Woman's Hour (No, it's not all jam making and lace doilies) ;D

Jenny - are you THE jenny? (of women's hour fame?;)  :D

and as a just turned 40 person, I never thought I'd say it but radio 2 is the bizz!

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2005, 10:50:48 »
apparently there is a feature about allotments on the lunchtime radio 2 show? Jeremy Vine is it? (one of the fast approaching 40 people at work told me about it!) ;D ;D

I actually normally listening to 5 live, simply because my boyfriend has all our radios tuned to it and I cannot be bothered to keep re-tuning them. Just got him a DAB radio  8) so will experiment more now it is easier to tune.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2005, 11:05:15 »
I'll be listening!  I missed last week's instalment from the allotment  :(  You can listen again though on the internet for any bit you missed which is good

Jeremy V show has it's own allotment and it's in Wales run by a bloke called Terry and each week or so they have an update.  Jeremy has even made the trip there himself.  Occasionally Terry goes to London to do the show and takes produce with him.  Great stuff  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal