Author Topic: I dug up a toad??  (Read 3784 times)

undercarriage plan

I dug up a toad??
« on: August 13, 2005, 19:34:40 »
Whilst digging over polytunnel area, I dug up a toad! Really :o! Was right down in the soil, is this normal for toads? Or have I discovered the lesser-spotted mining toad?? After that, took me ages to clear, cos I was so worried about spearing one!! Lottie  ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: I dug up a toad??
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 20:31:24 »
I've had this experience; they make their homes in hollows in the most unlikely places. I use a lot of mulch, often thickly, and they shelter underneath that.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 20:37:30 »
I've never dug one up, but once had a fright when I went to use an opened bag of compost in my back garden, plunged my hand in and got a handful of compost plus toad. The compost bag was a large size, standing on its end, so must have been 2 ft from the ground. Don't know how he got in!

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 21:15:09 »
I found one sheltering in a small cave of soil in the middle of a bed - have no idea if it made the "cave", but I presume so.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 08:32:24 »
Thanks all, was dreading having to report the existence of a new mining toad species and having to halt pt construction!!! Hope he comes back! Love em too Wardy, warts and all! Lottie  ;D

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 11:06:05 »
Don't worry Lottie.

Toads actually spend very little time in the water. They only go there to drink and breed. Mostly they are found in damp shady places and will bury themselves (usually this is how they hybernate, but I suppose it makes sense to bury yourself if you're a toad and it's hot and dry!) I dug one up once while planting some tulip bulbs in January (yes I know - late, but they flowered beautifully!)

They are beauties aren't they? I just love them.
gone to pot :D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005, 13:24:22 »
Thanks Aqui! After pt construction, I'm hoping to build a hen house out of wood from local tip!! Then I'm trying to persuade the farmer (my dad ::)!) to let me add a pond!! It's the perfect site for one, and eventually a larger shed, then a Lottie's Nursery sign, then another polytunnel....... ;) Lottie ;D

jaggythistle

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005, 00:26:37 »

I thought that it was "TOAD IN THE HOLE"   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2005, 09:16:15 »
LOL!!! I was a bit slow with that.....!!! Nice one, Jaggy! Lottie ;D

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2005, 08:15:06 »
A good tip is to put some old carpet down and a small amount of soft compust or muck underneath and you should get toads under the carpet hiding out :D

The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2005, 08:21:20 »
Thanks Sexy Snail!! Off to erect pt this am, will add carpet cut off at the side.  ;D Lottie

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2005, 12:50:28 »
I dig up newts and sand lizards on the plot frequently (and a mole nest once).

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2005, 23:10:35 »
Are you sure they're sand lizards? Where are you? their range in the UK is extremely restricted.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2005, 18:46:34 »
We are in Essex, and I posted some pictures back in the early spring I think and was told they were sand lizzards.  I shall try and find the pics.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2005, 18:51:55 »
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/yabbse/index.php/topic,6569.0.html  Here is my original link and pics.  Is it a sand lizard??

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2005, 01:18:42 »
Those look like Great Crested newt and Common Lizard to me. Sand lizards aren't found in Essex, only in Hampshire.

I don't have a distribution map, but Palmate Newt is typically a mountain species, so I wouldn't expect to find too many in Essex.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 01:30:24 by Robert_Brenchley »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2005, 21:29:32 »
Oh well, I am no expert and was only going on what I was told. 

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2005, 01:03:32 »
 Ho ho Lottie, I would get a big fright if I dug up a toad especially as I can't remember ever seeing a one. (Met loads of toads of the human variety heehee). 

Toad...it is a great sounding word isn't it!

Jennym your story had me laughing!  ;D  I always plunge my hand into my bag of compost and think to myself, "Why do I do that without looking first?!"  I would have kittens if I pulled anything out other than compost. :o  :)  I know I have critters living in/around/under my shed so I know it could happen!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2005, 09:37:13 »
Ooo Heidi, be carfeul, you might put your hand in and pull out the lesser -spotted, compost-eating toad  :o :o :o, very ferocious and can take your hand off......like that!!  ;) Lottie  ;D

chuff

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2005, 20:15:08 »
I disturbed a Toad that was hiding under a piece of asbestos, I thought it was a squeaky toy due to the awful sound it made :o He was obviously not impressed and nor was I, He scared the sh*t out me >:(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal