Author Topic: Khol rabi  (Read 3131 times)

Annadl

• Half Acre
  • Anna from Downunder.
Khol rabi
« on: August 12, 2005, 14:09:49 »
Hi I am new to this site.  Have seen khol rabi mentioned several times and even have some seeds.

Wouldn't know how to cook them or what to do with them. ???

Any suggestions anyone?  (before I decide to plant/grow them).

Anna
Wish I had an allotment.  I love A4A.

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
Re: Khol rabi
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 14:32:25 »
the OH's dad gave us one he has grown, not overly impressed I have to say - tastes something inbetween a swede/ turnip and has quite a strange texture.

I have boiled it - takes a long time, boiled it for 30 mins and it was a little tough still. Apparently it is also nice roasted (about the same time as potatoes I would imagine) or grated in salads.

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 15:11:00 »
I'd say it tastes a bit like a cross between a cabbage & a turnip. They really need to be picked small or they start to go a bit woody. I often chop them into chunks & cook with carrots with a bit of marg & parsley added.  I also grate it into salads - I imagine it would be good grated with carrot a bit like coleslaw. Otherwise add to soups, casseroles etc.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 16:40:31 »
bj, that's exactly the best way to jhave them. add  to stews in oxo cube size chunks, or boil on their own or with carrots for a side dish. yummy. and, you can eat them raw as a snack - like you would nibble on a raw carrot. although they dont lend themselves to crudite - because the flesh turns brown on contact with air (like apple flesh does)
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 09:28:02 »
Just had some last night - simmered 'til tender then sauted in some marg 'til browned. Excellent.

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005, 11:56:58 »
might be where OH dad went wrong then, it was the size of a large orange and is very woody! so should have picked them earlier. Going to try the last of it roasted tonight and see if it converts me.

Trenchboy

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 01:14:08 »
Daisymay - were they ok?

I have around 30 of them coming on a treat..

Are they ok?

Is it safe?

I only grew them to see if I could...

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 13:21:49 »
I use Rick Steins Carrot and Khol Rabi Salad, is always a winner!  (the kebabs are good too!)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/turkishkoftakebabswi_71862.shtml
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 13:49:05 »
were delicious roasted! I put them in with the potatoes, so cooked exactly same length of time (inc. parboiling beforehand).

Am converted now, a lot nicer than boiled, but I don't think I cooked them for long enough.

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005, 14:32:49 »
Having praised this veg it has the temerity to fight back. Chopping some up for the freezer yesterday when knife slipped (yes a cheap one) & chopped the end of my little finger off!! Didn't know what a kohl rabi was in Minor Injuries!!

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2005, 15:41:46 »
Ouch!!! well it is an "exotic vegetable!", it probably didn't want to go in the freezer, poor thing  :D :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal