Author Topic: weed identification  (Read 2472 times)

vaca

• Half Acre
weed identification
« on: August 17, 2005, 10:46:25 »
Hello (changed my profile, I used to be afubini :)),

While I wait for my allotment contract to come through, I decided to have a second look at the plot I selected and took some photos while I was at it. I was wondering if someone could help me identify the 2 weeds on the plot. I've attached a couple of pictures for you to see.

Many Thanks!

Is this Couch Grass?!?!?

...and some kind of perennial Thistle?

Just a pic of the entire plot :)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 10:52:42 by vaca loca »

wardy

• Hectare
Re: weed identification
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 11:09:41 »
Hi there  :)  yep, most newbies start off allotment life with a plot just like that.  Except Heidi who's plot was piled high with mountains (really) of rubbish  :o

Couch grass?  Yes, it looks like it.  There'll be lots of different grasses in it though.  The thistles look set to blow all over the place.  They're a great draw for goldfinches though at the point where all the tops are fluffy  :)

Well, if the weeds are anything to go buy the soil looks fertile  ;D

Good luck with it and when you get it DON'T DO TOO MUCH AT ONCE!   :)  Get something planted as soon as you clear a bit (square foot in my case  :))
I came, I saw, I composted

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 12:23:27 »
Looks just like mine was, without the 16 sq m of brambles :D Have you any bindweed? That's an evil sod; couch grass is a pain but a pretty standard one.
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

amphibian

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 12:35:12 »
Looks just like mine was, without the 16 sq m of brambles :D Have you any bindweed? That's an evil sod; couch grass is a pain but a pretty standard one.

I have couch, doc, ragwort, as well as brambles encroaching from the neighbouring plot.

There is some bindweed about 4' from my plot, but I have found no bindweed rhizomes in my soil.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 12:37:39 »
I've got none on the plot except for in the hedge, and there's quite a lot of it.  It has thicker stems though and glossier leaves than the usual.  Hope it's not a mutant super strain  :(
I came, I saw, I composted

amphibian

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 12:42:30 »
I've got none on the plot except for in the hedge, and there's quite a lot of it.  It has thicker stems though and glossier leaves than the usual.  Hope it's not a mutant super strain  :(

I would think that thicker stems is a good thing, as the main problem with bindweed is the brittleness of the rhizomes, which snap as you try to remove them.

timmyc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 14:52:14 »
where is your plot - It looks very similar to one next door to mine!??

vaca

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 15:37:26 »
The plot is on Cecil Avenue (Brent - London). Let me know if we're neighbours :)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 18:43:25 »
I have bindweed, thistles (many sorts), dandelions, loads of couch/twitch and ground elder plus a wide variety of annuals such as deadly nightshade (I am going for the full solanum family) ragwort, poppies etc.

Strim the weeds down and then use a fork to go over the ground once getting as much out as you can - dig a bit, break it up and then go through it with your fingers.  I then leave it a couple of days and then go over it with a fork again.  There are so many perennial weeds on mine that I am composting them - cannot afford to waste that much organic matter - I will just have to wait about two years before I can use it.

Biggest piece of advice - do a little at at a time and use it - get something growing, that's what makes it worthwhile.  While you are digging your next bit you can look at the stuff growing in the bit you have already done.  :)
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

gayle

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005, 19:18:31 »
Biggest piece of advice - do a little at at a time and use it - get something growing, that's what makes it worthwhile.  While you are digging your next bit you can look at the stuff growing in the bit you have already done

thats exactly what ive done, gives you hope while your still digging. ;D

gayle

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2005, 19:21:00 »

Biggest piece of advice - do a little at at a time and use it - get something growing, that's what makes it worthwhile.  While you are digging your next bit you can look at the stuff growing in the bit you have already done.  :)

im still learning.

vaca

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2005, 19:57:14 »
Thanks for all the upbeat replies :)

I've already started sowing autumn veg at home so will have plenty of seedlings to transplant as soon as I officially 'move in' to my new plot.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal