Author Topic: Zantedeschias - the coloured flowers  (Read 2051 times)

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
Zantedeschias - the coloured flowers
« on: August 09, 2005, 21:42:50 »
Does anyone grow these & can give me any info as to how best to look after them. I bought 3 different ones (were they corms) earlier this year & planted them in pots. They took an absolute age to show any shoots. I thought they had rotted but found the pots full of roots but nowt on top. Only 1 has flowered (Mango - from M&S!!) whilst the other 2 (from an RHS flower show) have only leaves. Any hints on cultivation & how to over-winter would be much appreciated. (We grow the white one in our pond).

undercarriage plan

Re: Zantedeschias - the coloured flowers
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 22:45:38 »
Beejay, over the years I have tried numerous different ones, never had any success with getting anything other than foliage.......with one tiny, weak looking flower once! My white ones? Always been lovely, gave up on coloured ones a couple of years ago. However, I'm sure someone will have had some succes, will be interested to see. :-\ Lottie

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 08:21:21 »
I had a lovely pot of these - large pot, well drained gritty soil - for years. Then one winter I let them get too wet, they got too wet and then froze and died. So I think that good drainage helps.

Deeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 13:13:03 »
I have lots of these, including Mango, a deep royal purple and the new glorious black one whoes name escapes me at the moment.

The secret is lots of water and food in the summer, then towards the end of autumn let them dry off totally and store them in a dry totally frost free place over winter. When the weather starts to warm up, repot in a food rich compost, and water very sparingly until new growth appears. None of these brightly coloured ones are in the least bit hardy.

There are some hardy coloured forms coming onto the market now, they are Zantedeschia aethopica forms and include the lovely 'Pink Mist' which is a bit tougher than 'Kiwi Blush'

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 20:01:13 »
Thanks for your responses. Lottie, when I read what you had to say I thought I may as well give up now but Dee has given me some hope: at least I am prepared to persevere for a while. A couple of questions - do they like full sun/semi shade/whatever & when you say feed lots, would that be high potash or a more general feed? I tend to use the slow release granules in pots. Thanks again everybody.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 22:20:34 »
I used Phostrogen, (when I remember) but I would imagine that the slow release granules would be OK.

Deeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 23:54:07 »
Beejay, they love full sun, but will take a little light shade.  I use a slow release fertilizer too, but occasionally give them a good drench with half strength general fertilizer (or tomato feed) as well, usually do this in the evenings so it acts as a folar feed.

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 07:52:02 »
Thanks everyone. Onwards & upwards!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal