Author Topic: Rust on Broad Beans  (Read 7257 times)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Rust on Broad Beans
« on: August 08, 2005, 21:09:32 »
 :( Hi Gang I have today just noticed rust on the leaves of my broad beans, the whole row look very sad indeed :'( there are still a few beans to collect, is it safe to eat them and is the plant a gonner? ??? This has happened very quickly as I was up there yesterday and didn't notice it then. :-\ Oh and will it spread to other plants? ???

Many thanks in advance. :( :)

Kepouros

• Hectare
Re: Rust on Broad Beans
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 21:46:37 »
First, are you sure that it is definitely rust, and not chocolate spot ?- not that it matters an awful lot if there are only a few pods left.

Pick the remaining pods, and as long as the beans themselves are clean when podded it`s perfectly ok to eat them.

Dig up and burn (or otherwise destroy) the plants as soon as you have finished picking.  Don`t compost as both rust and chocolate spot fungi can overwinter.

Plants are more susceptible to both fungi if they are fed with nitrogen. As I have mentioned before on this site, don`t give them general fertilizers, which they don`t need - just potash, which makes them harder.  And try to keep them in a 4 year rotation.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 16:44:33 »
If it is brown and spotty, it may be Chocolate Spot (nice name). With choc spot, it doesn't matter a bit, your crop will be fine. My book says that Chocolate Spot happens in warm weather.  ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 19:08:12 »
My beans were covered with chocolate spot this season, beans didn't look great, but tasted wonderful.  Good luck. Lottie ;D

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 21:41:00 »
Plants are more susceptible to both fungi if they are fed with nitrogen. As I have mentioned before on this site, don`t give them general fertilizers, which they don`t need - just potash, which makes them harder.  And try to keep them in a 4 year rotation.

::) Ah yes you have hit the nail on the head, my beans were in well manured soil plus on occasions I sprinkled Chicken Poo around them :P ::) silly me :-[ also my lottie neighbours beans has rust and she spreads loads of the stuff on her plot.

We live,,,and learn on here. ;)

Many thanks to all. ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal