Author Topic: Tiller control of couch  (Read 1753 times)

amphibian

Tiller control of couch
« on: September 16, 2005, 23:07:50 »
I have access to a rotavator now and am considering tackling my couch problem on my, as of yet, unused half of the allotment. I am interested in trying this method (click), as detailed on teh HRDA website.

Common wisdom seems to be that rotovation of couch is a very bad idea, but this method suggests that frequent rotavation is actually the key. Hs anyone tried this method? Had any success or failures?

I was thinking of running a bastard fallow, followed by a widely spaced crop, so that I can still cultivate the soil in between the crops.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
Re: Tiller control of couch
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 01:08:34 »
I have used this method & it certainly works. April to June is the time to do it though, you need to go over it at least 4 times at 3 or 4 week intervals. Works best when the soil isn't too wet

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 02:19:03 »
Common wisdom seems to be that rotovation of couch is a very bad idea, but this method suggests that frequent rotavation is actually the key. Hs anyone tried this method? Had any success or failures?
If you remember that the couch rhizomes, being so thin, store very little energy then it becomes obvious why this works. Repeated cultivations, done before the new plants have time to start manufacturing storage compounds, starches, necessary to promote further rhizome production, will quickly exhaust the food reserves. Another method, taking advantage of this limited food reserve too, is repeated frequent cropping of the leaves so that the plants have to utilise the limited nutrients stored in the rhizomes to grow new leaves rather than being able to utilise pyhtosynthetically manufactured foods.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 01:31:34 »
Yes, that's right, mowing kills it too

onion_grower

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 12:12:09 »
It is also said on that website that frost also kills the rhizomes of the couch so if you dig in the winter then allow the frost to break down the clods of eath, then following sprong rotorvate 3-4 times then you should be able to kill it off.

In theory!

amphibian

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 17:34:14 »
It is also said on that website that frost also kills the rhizomes of the couch so if you dig in the winter then allow the frost to break down the clods of eath, then following sprong rotorvate 3-4 times then you should be able to kill it off.

In theory!

Thopugh I think that refers to a prolongued frost, a harsh winter might do the job, but the odd mornng frost will not.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal