Author Topic: Chillington Hoe  (Read 6695 times)

micsmum

• Half Acre
  • Gottie Lottie Now!
Re: Chillington Hoe
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2005, 16:51:21 »
Bag Lady
Re keeping the end on the handle of the Cillington
We had the same problem until we left the hoe out in the rain for a few days - the wood swelled and held the end in place!
Helen

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2005, 06:35:34 »
Ordered my Hoe yesterday off the internet yesterday, thanks for the link Wardy......can't wait.

I popped down the lottie last evening and booked lessons on using the Chillington Hoe with  my Carribean friend  ;)

The point of this post is to say that some of the stuff he was growing looked superb and in many cases unusual....

He told me that he bought 'seed' from a shop in Highfields (a predominently Asian area of the City).. so much cheaper he said...E.G. four kilos of red beans for four quid???

Now there's a thought!

With my immediate lottie neighbour being a Spanish lady who also grows varieties brought from her home in Spain I can see my plot going distinctly cosmopolitan next season

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2005, 09:29:13 »
That sounds good Derek  :)  Did you ever see that episode of GW when Monty visited a large lotty site in Birmingham and there were loads of nationalities growing on it.  It was an inspirational programme and I think it's been repeated several times since.  If it ever comes on again it's a must see.

I have an Indian chap gardening near me and he has a fab plot.  He's been gone on his hols for weeks and his plot still looks great.. His plot seems lush all year round, even in the depths of winter, when everyone else's looks bleak.  He grows lovely looking spinach all year and he's given me some seeds.  He grows fenugreek and now I notice one or two of the English chaps are doing so and a lotty holder across the way from me has given me some seed so it's curry time  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

amphibian

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2005, 12:41:32 »
Ordered my Hoe yesterday off the internet yesterday, thanks for the link Wardy......can't wait.

I popped down the lottie last evening and booked lessons on using the Chillington Hoe with  my Carribean friend  ;)

The point of this post is to say that some of the stuff he was growing looked superb and in many cases unusual....

He told me that he bought 'seed' from a shop in Highfields (a predominently Asian area of the City).. so much cheaper he said...E.G. four kilos of red beans for four quid???

Now there's a thought!

With my immediate lottie neighbour being a Spanish lady who also grows varieties brought from her home in Spain I can see my plot going distinctly cosmopolitan next season

Derek

I dscovered my hoe is great for removing turf, I just get it under the edge and pull, it pulls the turf up but pulls tap roots and rhizomes out at the same time, rather than severing them as a spade does. It seems like harder work than using a spade until you realise you have done three times as much in teh same peiod of time.

I have South African and Spanish neighbours, they have wonderfully lush plots, and have made beautiful home made fences. They seem very resourceful and dedicated when compared to the weed and blight ridden plots of my British neigbours.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal