Author Topic: Raspberries for dummies!  (Read 1409 times)

suzylou

• Half Acre
Raspberries for dummies!
« on: August 15, 2005, 21:07:16 »
Last week someone very kindly gave me some raspberry canes.

They've clearly finished fruiting for the year, but I'm not too sure what to do with them.  At the moment I have just bunged them into the only available space, but I know they're crowded.

I've read about cutting canes right down - but when should I do this and how short should I cut them?  Is it okay to cut them down below the lowest leaf?

wardy

• Hectare
Re: Raspberries for dummies!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 21:56:01 »
I shouldn't worry as you can't kill em - they're indestructible  ;D  I think you cut the cane to the  ground - not sure though  ???
I came, I saw, I composted

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 22:29:31 »
If they've finished fruiting completely, they should be summer fruiting raspberries. The canes will look woody and brown, and the leaves will be yellowing. There should also be new growth, fresh green canes, with fresh green leaves. Cut down only the old canes, right to the ground. Do it now. Leave any new growth that is already there or that grows. These are the canes which will fruit next year.
For raspberries which are still fruiting, which will be late varieties, cut down in October, right to the ground - I leave one or two showing only - these will produce fresh growth next spring which will fruit nex autumn.

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 06:43:29 »
Wardy

Sorry I have to disagree with you...I managed to destroy a few plants during my marathon replanting session earlier this year.... perhaps I didn't talk to them enough  ;)

Didn't pick up too well either but are producing minute quantities of fruit....now next year!

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 09:22:54 »
I noticed that my stray rasps are coming up through the tomatoes  :o  Was pleased at errant rasps yesterday which have escaped from an allotment and are growing beautifully behind the water butt.  My neice and I had a picking each watering trip  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal