Author Topic: Chillington Hoe  (Read 6689 times)

Derek

• Acre
Chillington Hoe
« on: August 08, 2005, 07:30:22 »
Some time ago there was talk of several people on the forum who were going to buy a Chillington Hoe.

Well, a few months on, how have you got on with it?

A couple of guys on our plot use them all the time and make it all look so easy but then they come from Countries where they use nothing else...

It's tempting

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

amphibian

Re: Chillington Hoe
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 07:41:06 »
Some time ago there was talk of several people on the forum who were going to buy a Chillington Hoe.

Well, a few months on, how have you got on with it?

A couple of guys on our plot use them all the time and make it all look so easy but then they come from Countries where they use nothing else...

It's tempting

Derek

I ordered an Asian hoe, but it is yet to arrive, when it does I will let yo know how I find it.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 07:44:50 »
Love mine, had it for about 8 years now. Great for breaking up heavy soil and seems easier on the back! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 10:41:14 »
I've had one for several years, I use it for any digging which doesn't involve getting deep roots out; I still prefer a fork for that, or a spade if the problem's extreme.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 12:35:45 »
Here we go again with my (silly?) questions. What is a Chillington Hoe/ Any pics or descriptions please. I have got 4 hoes which were given to me by the family of my next door neighbour (sweet old lady) when she died. Lorna.

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 12:38:03 »
Not silly at all Lorna.  Saved me having to ask the same thing!   
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005, 12:42:17 »

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2005, 12:49:13 »
THanks for that Derek.  HAve to say I tried one of my neighbours and decided its far to dangerous for me - I'd have no crops left!    I do like the three spiked thing of a similar shape though.   A propogator someone told me used to break up all the clods and stuff.........
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2005, 12:54:33 »
Icy thank God for that ;D Thanks Roy just going to do a bit of googling. My husband always called my dances (the grandchildren run in case I drag them on the floor) the chicken dance and I thought googling meant another kind of dance ;D ;D ;D ;D Lorna.

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2005, 13:05:12 »
I do like the three spiked thing of a similar shape though.   A propogator someone told me used to break up all the clods and stuff.........

a hand cultivator?!?!

suzylou

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2005, 13:24:08 »
Is that the same thing which is sometimes called an "adze"?

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2005, 14:55:46 »
For those who don't know see:-

http://www.chillington.co.uk/index.html

I have several that came back from Africa with me.  The best one I like is a spade and fork combined (at opposite ends).   The wrist gets very deft at a quick twist;D ;D ;D

It can be bought in several sizes, and can be either a hand tool or long handled.  Depends if the ants got to the handle or not. ;D ;D ;D

In the 'shambas' where I lived - East Africe - theses tools were almost all they had.  Great tool, gets planting sweet potatoes, mealies etc. in no time at all.

Fantastic for global weeding.

To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2005, 15:08:15 »
I got mine from a tool company of the web - far cheaper than the gardening sites I looked on.  I paid about £10.23 delivered which is good I reckon. 
I came, I saw, I composted

suzylou

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2005, 15:10:08 »
Wardy...where?? :)

AndrewB

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2005, 17:37:48 »
I have the big heavy duty one and its great for breaking up heavy soil, however, I have never managed to get the head onto the handle properly and so it keeps slipping off.  Is there a secret to fixing it on?

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2005, 18:32:10 »
My one is an original from Sri lanka.  it is a doddle to earth up spuds and dig trenches for them with.  I got a hand held version form the pound shop and haven't used a trowel since.  Best bargain ever.
Regarding the handle problem - my big one has come loose.  I find that if you whack the pole on a paving slab it wedges back on.  You can also do a strange kind of pogo manouvre and that does the same.too.
Get with the beat Baggy

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2005, 19:22:04 »
lol Baggy, that would be an interesting sight!
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2005, 19:29:58 »
Ironmongers used to sell little iron wedges which would solve that sort of problem; it must still br possible to get them somewhere.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2005, 23:24:32 »
www.toolshopdirect.co.uk      They've gone up!  They're now £10.34  :o

I came, I saw, I composted

Trenchboy

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2005, 23:39:27 »
Next time anyone ventures across the Channel, try Leroy Merlin, which is always next door to Auchan.

Paid 10.50 euros for the simple mattock style and 12 Euros for the two ended one, and that was last Friday.

There were all sorts of other tools there, but I was feeling hesitant about what they would be for.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal