Author Topic: Moving fish !!  (Read 2905 times)

crackintackle

• Not So New ...
Moving fish !!
« on: August 15, 2005, 11:31:13 »
Hi everyone

May be a stupid question, but before I trawl the web I thought I'd ask if anyone has any experience of moving fish (professionally).

Impending house move - want to take our fish - (approx 50).  We can buy a pre-formed pond to use as a holding pen whilst a new pond is dug, but is this practical ?  and how is it negotiated with the purchaser of our house ?

I really don't want to leave them behind.

Thanks
Crackintackle

Anthony

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Moving fish !!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 13:06:56 »
Hi,

Yes this is a dilema I've often thought about but thankfully never encountered myself as yet!!

My father in law moved from Manchester to Ireland about 18 months ago and used a large holding tank which he loaned from a local aquatics store.  I'm not sure of the exact logitics but I think he half filled the tank with water from the pond, put the fish in and then set off in his transit to Ireland (Probably braking a number of laws on the way!!).  I doubt this is the best way to do things but considering the distance I think this was probably the best he could manage under the circumstances.  He's since rigged up the filter and pump and although his new pond (ne lake) is almost finished, the fish still reside in the holding tank.  I think he finished up buying it off the aquatics company in the end!  I think he had about 50 and ended up losing 5.

Are you moving far?  Could you perhaps not bribe the new occupants of your house with the offer of a few fish in return for looking after your own for long enough for you to set up temporary accomodation?

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 14:11:51 »
Have a look on google as there's bound to be advice on there.  There always is  :) 
I came, I saw, I composted

crackintackle

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 14:24:20 »
Thanks for responding Anthony.

House going on the market at the end of the month.  We expect to move only 15 miles max from where we are now (still need to do the daily toil).

The pond we have is a pretty serious affair really, it is 12' x 8' x 4.5' semi raised and OK for olds like us with the time and interest to put in, but probably a big no-no for youngsters with kids, so as I would expect a family to buy our house, they would probably fill in the pond toot-sweet.

Now I know your dad did this, and over quite a distance too, I will get in touch with our local koi man and get some idea of prices.   I was reluctant to speak with him first in case my idea of moving them was too off the wall.

Thanks
Crackintackle  

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 14:29:42 »
When we moved our fish we transported them in Dustbins filled with the water from the Pond.  The journey was about 2 and half hours and they survived OK.  This was in 1989 so memory a bit hazy now.  This will be a different story with yours though if you have 50 fish.  Hope they are not all big fish!!!  Good luck in selling the house.

crackintackle

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 15:11:04 »
Hi Carol

I am trying to put this in pictures, and pardon my idiocy, but did you use some kind of cover on the dustbins ? (I keep seeing water swishing around all over the place).

As for the house, I know it will be stress all the way !!!

Thanks
Crackintackle

Anthony

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 13:03:49 »
Argh,

Yes one of the few things I remember about the journey was that the container was covered by two cotton blankets which were tied on by string under the lip of the container.  I think the local aquatics shop recommended this, I guess for the following reasons: 1) The cover it provides stops the water sploshing all over the van 2) It reduced the amount of light which apparently helps reduce stress and 3) With it being permeable oxygen can get through.

crackintackle

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 14:22:14 »
Armed with a bit more confidence than I had before I set this question, I have contacted our local koi man.

He recommends that we move the fish in individual bags placed in individual boxes. He can supply the bags & oxygen.  He says to use double bags for each fish, 20% water 80% oxygen.  They do provide a 'fish-sitting' service and transportation, but they charge £25 per fish.  We will probably use this for the more expensive fish we have.

You are right about the light levels reducing stress.  This coupled with a few days starvation will give them the best chance of surviving a period of about 48 hours (We will not need that long). 

Apparently using a fair sized 'paddling pool' or pre-formed pool will be fine to use as a holding pen for up to a week.

What an adventure........................can't wait...........................

Anthony

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 22:44:13 »
I have just three things to say:

1) Do you live anywhere near either Manchester or Liverpool?
2) If so, I have a paddling pool used just once, believe it or not, to house my fish when building a bigger pond last year, which is currently taking up space in the garage and is free to a good home.
3) If you don't live anywhere in the NW then the one I bought held approx 2,500 litres and cost £25 new from e-bay.  It wasn't a million miles away from this one I've just found:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/8ft-Octagon-Steel-Frame-Swimming-Pool_W0QQitemZ4399885903QQcategoryZ20733QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Anthony

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2005, 22:49:13 »

crackintackle

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2005, 08:01:28 »
I live in London, but you are very kind to offer - thank you.

The steel framed pools fit the bill perfectly - I'll get that sorted this afternoon.

Thank you so much for your help and advice, it is really appreciated.

Anthony

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2005, 12:20:16 »
Oh well!!! I had that particular bit of the garage earmarked for my next white elephant :)

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal